WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Anyone with any thoughts...

Old 07-12-10, 17:40

Default Anyone with any thoughts...

Hi guys and girls

I'm new here although not new to photography. I've been through the phases over the years. 35mm, through to the high end Canon DSLRs. I have been out of photography for a while but want to come back in on a gentle basis.

My question is ... Does anyone have any thoughts about the Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds crop of cameras? They look amazing bits of kit and what I love is that they are so small. Baring in mind I will not be undertaking anything professional, the concept really has me quite excited. But I don't anything about these 'machines'. Anyone with opinions, and thoughts, or any actual experience with these cameras I would be most interested in reading about.

Many thanks - Steve
Old 07-12-10, 21:31

Never used one in anger myself, but knowing someone who does, it apparently took a while to get used to the 4:3 aspect ratio. Not a shop stopper, but it can take some adjustment.

Limited choice of lenses may be an issue, but it depends what sort of things you're going to be taking pictures of.

WPF member Trena (Tugboat) uses an Olympus, which is a 4:3 sensor, it may be worth having a word with her.
Old 08-12-10, 11:45

Hi Steve welcome.
I have had a Lumix G1 macro 4/3 for about a year. Think its a fine camera dose all and more than I want. Have only used the kit lens. Cost and limited choise of lenses is a problem, you do have to think about this before you buy 4/3.
You say your not wanting professional then IMO 4/3 sensor is ok.
I love how small and light my Lumix is.
If I had the money to buy another camera would I go 4/3? Think I would go with something with more lens choice. Thats not to say I regret going 4/3.
Sorry not a lot of help.
Old 08-12-10, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Never used one in anger myself, but knowing someone who does, it apparently took a while to get used to the 4:3 aspect ratio. Not a shop stopper, but it can take some adjustment.

Limited choice of lenses may be an issue, but it depends what sort of things you're going to be taking pictures of.

WPF member Trena (Tugboat) uses an Olympus, which is a 4:3 sensor, it may be worth having a word with her.

Hey thanks for this. I went from a Canon 1d mk2n to a Canon G9 compact, which was a shock to the system to say the least! The camera can only be as good as the lens. I went from Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS and slightly lesser lenses to the G9's compact lens. Pictures are "ok" but boy did I miss the 1Dn. I just figured the four thirds / micro four thirds was a good compromise in between. And lenses are only going to get better surely?
Old 08-12-10, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur53 View Post
Hi Steve welcome.
I have had a Lumix G1 macro 4/3 for about a year. Think its a fine camera dose all and more than I want. Have only used the kit lens. Cost and limited choise of lenses is a problem, you do have to think about this before you buy 4/3.
You say your not wanting professional then IMO 4/3 sensor is ok.
I love how small and light my Lumix is.
If I had the money to buy another camera would I go 4/3? Think I would go with something with more lens choice. Thats not to say I regret going 4/3.
Sorry not a lot of help.
Hey Arthur on the contrary, great help. I guess knowing all of the pitfalls of a system before you buy is good and it help to make an informed decision. See my reply above. The lens situation can only improve, unless the format dies a death like Betamax video.! how likely is THAT to happen?
Old 13-12-10, 16:25

The format is selectable in camera on my ep-1? 6x6, 3x2 and 16x9!
As it takes c mount lenses, with a cheap adapter, the world is your oyster! Prices are rising, but there are many cheap fun lenses that are so small! Admittedly manual focus, but I am a fascist control freak, so that is ok for me.

The format is unable to die? Sony came out with theirs, but most c mount lenses will not work without vignette. Nikon are trying, via a patent, to use an even smaller format, whereby most c mount lenses will not vignette if for 2/3 sensor?

The problem is that such lenses are very cheap on the second hand market and were common for TV and ccTV of yesteryear.

I have a 75mm F1.4 that acts like a 150mm f1.4 with dof of F2.8. Almost takes pictures in the dark! Cosina, as Voigtlander are coming out with mf lenses and so are Samyang and Senko. All F1.4 or faster! How about F0.95?