WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Lense Advice

Old 07-05-09, 09:47

Default Lense Advice

Sorry but I guess it's been asked a thousand times.

I've owned a Canon 400 for just over a year and fancy treating myself to another lense.
I have a canon 10-22
Canon 28-135
Sigma 70-200
and the stock lense 18-55 is
I really want a walk round lense what would cover my gaps is it the 24 105
f4L open to ideas I am trying to get the hang of landscape photography with some of our grandaughter as you do .
Thanks Ian
Old 07-05-09, 12:17

Can't see what you're going to gain by buying anything else. You have the 10-22 and the 18-55, and the 28-135. Why do you need anything else? For landscapes, you'll be using the lenses stopped down to f/8 or lower, which will sharpen them up nicely. Use a tripod, and think about what your taking, rather than just snapping away and hoping, that'll improve your photography and not cost you money either.

BTW, lens singular does not have an "e" on the end - sorry, pet hate.
Old 07-05-09, 12:39
Super Moderator

How much do you use the 28-135? If you use it a lot and find it lacking then I think the 24-105 is well worth considering. I agree that it may well not offer much improvement for landscapes (though it will be sharper and colours should be better), but it is a superb portrait lens and will be great for shots of people. One big word of warning if you do go for one, L series lenses are seriously addictive...
Old 07-05-09, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Can't see what you're going to gain by buying anything else. You have the 10-22 and the 18-55, and the 28-135. Why do you need anything else? For landscapes, you'll be using the lenses stopped down to f/8 or lower, which will sharpen them up nicely. Use a tripod, and think about what your taking, rather than just snapping away and hoping, that'll improve your photography and not cost you money either.

BTW, lens singular does not have an "e" on the end - sorry, pet hate.
Thanks for the advice & spelling correction

I suppose like so many others we think more expensive lense means better photos probably deep down we also know technique is probably more important.I know the 10-22 is a super lens I supppose I was thinking of a nice piece of glass to maybe have inplace of the 18-55 or more especially the 28-135.
Point taken about tripod at the moment though I'd feel a tad conspicuous walking about with one unless up in the mountains & there aren't too many of them in sunny Norfolk.
You know what they say a fool & his money soon parted & having just sold my Motor Bike I need something to cheer me up.
Thanks again Ian
Old 07-05-09, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
How much do you use the 28-135? If you use it a lot and find it lacking then I think the 24-105 is well worth considering. I agree that it may well not offer much improvement for landscapes (though it will be sharper and colours should be better), but it is a superb portrait lens and will be great for shots of people. One big word of warning if you do go for one, L series lenses are seriously addictive...

Well you've just made me realize there's plenty to point ya camera at in Norfolk
Having lived here for 50+years I think I'd best start opening my eyes.
Right on the Suffolk boarder here .
Loved your photos .
Cheers Ian
Old 07-05-09, 16:01
Super Moderator

Yes there's plenty of stuff to point a camera at in Norfolk, I waste a lot of my time doing so! Depending where you are in county you might do well to visit the camera shop in East Dereham - http://norfolkcameracentre.co.uk/ they are very helpful people in there and will let you try out the lens on your camera. They have a huge range of Canon lenses and often have good secondhand stuff in (though it doesn't last too long).
Old 11-05-09, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Yes there's plenty of stuff to point a camera at in Norfolk, I waste a lot of my time doing so! Depending where you are in county you might do well to visit the camera shop in East Dereham - http://norfolkcameracentre.co.uk/ they are very helpful people in there and will let you try out the lens on your camera. They have a huge range of Canon lenses and often have good secondhand stuff in (though it doesn't last too long).

Big mistake that came away a thousand pound lighter & a new 24-70.
Yes he's a very nice man

Now to hopefully start getting some nice pics .
Old 12-05-09, 02:49

I think that you made a good choice there, 24-70 2.8 (Siggy version) battles for time on my 30D with my 50 1.2 - I do a LOT of low light stuff and don't like using flash, for the most part.
I've not found anything that I can't comfortably take a picture of at the wide end and the 2.8 ap helps (with a bit of ISO pumping) no end indoors

Old 12-05-09, 09:09
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Big mistake that came away a thousand pound lighter & a new 24-70.
Yes he's a very nice man

Now to hopefully start getting some nice pics .
I have the older version of this lens (the 28-70 f2.8), it's a stunner I'm sure you'll be very happy with the results, it is one of my most used lenses.