WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D800

Old 07-04-14, 15:21

Exclamation Nikon D800

Hi there, I have recently acquired this "BEAST" and I will share my learning if any are interested. The first thing I noticed was that because of the high pixel count, the slightest camera shake is evident. So a tripod will follow me now at all times. My shot of the Great Orme was hand held, but I intend repeat it with a tripod to see the difference. I don't regard myself as a pixel counter so I chose this over the 800E. I will post shots here with different Nikkors and see what the differences are. Any questions or comments will be welcome.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 23-04-14, 03:01

Heartiest Congratulations Andy for your excellent new toy.
Nikon D800 is surely one, if not "The" best of camera bodies in the market today (And being a Canonphilia since birth, it doesn't come easy for me to say that). Yes higher pixels means noise and other brands have a lot to say about the cons but the entire industry is moving in that direction. I am personally for D800E despite its well discussed moiré effect, as that sharpness is a killing one, but in any case Nikon got a hand full of aces with this body.

Now extreme cropping would be a piece of cake for you as this high rez sensor will allow you a significant job to be done. Only have to wait and see what Canon has under the name of 5D MK IV that is going to be the biggest competitor and surely Nikon has something brewing in the tank to answer as well... Going to be interesting for consumers.

Enjoy it and share your nice images.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 29-04-14, 20:26

I have seen some results from a D800/500mm and they were superb. I do however wonder how much of the advantage of the high pixel count you lose because of that susceptability to camera shake?
Are you forced to use higher shutter speeds and possibly higher ISO?
These are thoughts that will affect all of us as the the pixel count of new camera models gets ever higher.
Old 29-04-14, 21:26

Hi Mike, So far I have used a 28-300 and 24-70 Nikkor on the body. I am also using a tripod and monopod to reduce shake but have also taken a few hand held shots. From various reviews I have read, I set the lenses to f8 or f11 and use Aperture Priority. I am also using Photoshop CC and it has a new way of reducing motion blur. I think that the post processing software has become very aware of high pixel counts and are trying to assist. Shortly I will post some shots in this thread to illustrate what I mean. I am taking delivery of a 200-400 VRII Nikor in the near future and this is a lens that should push me to the limits I have to say that so far I can only detect a little blur at over 80% crops on my hand held shots. Also several reviewers recommend finding and using the lens sweet spot as much as possible - hence the Aperture Priority.

Last edited by andy153; 29-04-14 at 21:31.
Old 30-04-14, 21:52

Look forward to seeing the shots and your thoughts.
Old 06-05-14, 11:49

Default My Local

Here is a hand held shot of my local - the highly recommended "Ty Fry" in Bodelwyddan. The original shot is hand held. The lens used is the 14-24mm f2.8 Nikkor. The only editing I have done is to reduce the file size, the original is 25Mb, and to crop part and again reduce the file size.
Because of the size here are links to them on my SmugMug page

If you follow my Smug Mug Link below click on folder "OTHER" then North Wales page 2.

If you click on the photos you should see them at original size. Thanks for any comments

Last edited by andy153; 06-05-14 at 11:57.
Old 06-05-14, 21:38

Thanks for posting the link Andy. Plenty of detail and good shots too.
Old 07-05-14, 09:49
Super Moderator

I may be being a bit dense here (not at all impossible) but I don't understand why a higher resolution sensor makes the camera more susceptible to camera sake, unless one is pixel peeping at 100%

Ok sure a higher resolution sensor is capable of recording smaller detail but surely an image printed at say 20x16 viewed at say 5 feet from a 36mp sensor isn't going to be any less sharp that the same image printed the same size viewed at the same distance off say a 10mp sensor is it?

Or am I missing something?
Old 07-05-14, 19:18

My very limited understanding is that if you want to get the very best out of the D800's 36mp so you can say do heavy cropping then your technique has to be top notch or there is no discernable advantage over another camera with less mp. I was just wondering if Andy compared the same shot both hand held and on a tripod perhaps with a modest telephoto at average settings if there was a noticeable difference if enlarged enough for a large print.
Old 08-05-14, 09:14

My main photographic interests are Land/Seascape, Architecture, Wildlife and Infrared. I have noticed that the pictures taken with my D100 Infrared camera always seem to be pin sharp, yet the stuff I took with my D3 often lacked that sharpness. Hence, when the opportunity to get a D800 presented itself, I decided to take the jump. According to all the reviews I read the pictures edges soften with the slightest movement at this size. As I am getting older and my arthritis takes over telephoto lenses are getting to be more important as I can no longer follow the rule that the cheapest telephoto lenses are your legs. The ability to heavily crop did not enter my equation as I always try to compose in camera, but with my inability to get close to many subjects, cropping has now entered the equation. Still, time will tell and I am going to create a D800 gallery on my SmugMug account so watch this space.