WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Should I Change My Tripod?

Old 08-03-06, 17:09

Default Should I Change My Tripod?

I have a Slick D163. One problem with this is the twist type leg locks. You think you have tightened them then suddenly, one section becomes loose. Being aware of this I always check, so it is not really a problem. What I want to know is, is there a better one for my purposes, with more damping, but no heavier. I mainly use a tripod with the Canon 100/400 mm lens.
Old 08-03-06, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
I have a Slick D163. One problem with this is the twist type leg locks. You think you have tightened them then suddenly, one section becomes loose. Being aware of this I always check, so it is not really a problem. What I want to know is, is there a better one for my purposes, with more damping, but no heavier. I mainly use a tripod with the Canon 100/400 mm lens.
John,
I have just downloaded the Slik catalogue but the cannot see the D163 so have no idea of its spec.
I use a big Slik so understand the twist lock bit. I also have for portability a Manfrotto 055 which has snap lock legs. Very nice and positive to use. My big Slik has geared centre column and the Manfrotto is pull up and lock. Two quite different beasts so it really depends on what features you would like if you were to switch.

Don
Old 08-03-06, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
John,
I have just downloaded the Slik catalogue but the cannot see the D163 so have no idea of its spec.
I use a big Slik so understand the twist lock bit. I also have for portability a Manfrotto 055 which has snap lock legs. Very nice and positive to use. My big Slik has geared centre column and the Manfrotto is pull up and lock. Two quite different beasts so it really depends on what features you would like if you were to switch.

Don
Thanks Don,
John
Old 09-03-06, 03:59

Do you see a larger lens in the near future. If so you might want to purchase wit that in mind. When I was shooting w/100-400 I new in a short time I would be moving up to the 500mm so I bought a gitzo 1325 and arca swis ballhead. If your going to be moving up the tripod you by today that will just accomadate the 100-400 will not hold up the larger lenses.
Old 09-03-06, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan
Do you see a larger lens in the near future. If so you might want to purchase wit that in mind. When I was shooting w/100-400 I new in a short time I would be moving up to the 500mm so I bought a gitzo 1325 and arca swis ballhead. If your going to be moving up the tripod you by today that will just accomadate the 100-400 will not hold up the larger lenses.
Thank you Duncan. No I don't see me moving up from the 100/400. After reading comments in this thread and the "What Tripod Thread," I've decided to keep the D-3. It weighs 2.4 kgf. It's not C.Fibre but it is very rigid.

JOhn
Old 09-03-06, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan
I think that for larger lenses it would be worth looking at the new Manfrotto gimbal mount that many people here and elsewhere use. It's not suitable for small lenses though.

Leif
Old 09-03-06, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
I think that for larger lenses it would be worth looking at the new Manfrotto gimbal mount that many people here and elsewhere use. It's not suitable for small lenses though.

Leif
Thank you Leif. I have been wondering about that for a while now. Looking at them the price put me off especialy as I am about to buy a Leica 62 apo. but now that I have decided to keep my D-3 tripod perhaps I will take the plunge.

Kind regars,
John
Old 10-03-06, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Thank you Leif. I have been wondering about that for a while now. Looking at them the price put me off especialy as I am about to buy a Leica 62 apo. but now that I have decided to keep my D-3 tripod perhaps I will take the plunge.

Kind regars,
John
John: You could check out Andy Bright's review on his website (digiscoped). He has said somewhere that it is not so convenient for use with a scope. Leif
Old 10-03-06, 19:46

I love my Benbo, but it's definitely a "marmite" tripod.

If you decide to try something else give a Benbo a look in the shop.

Rob.