WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Canon Speedlite 430EX 11

Old 24-11-11, 20:58

Unhappy Canon Speedlite 430EX 11

I really need advice regarding Canon Speedlite 430EX 11 - when it fires from on the camera my subjects are left with strong flashback in their eyes from the flash even with the diffuser in place. Is it possible to tone the flash down and how??
Also I have been trying to get the flash to fire from off the camera but cannot get it to do so.
Have read instruction books of both, tried watching U-tub but cannot find any answers to these things.
I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice. I hope to use a 28 to 135 Canon lens.
Old 24-11-11, 22:38
Super Moderator

First up are you using the flash in Manual or ETTL mode? If you are using it in Manual then you will need to also have the camera in Manual to balance the settings. The easiest way to use the flash is in ETTL with the camera in AV or manual, set the aperture and shutter speed you want and then let the ETTL work out the flash power needed. As for the flash itself rather than firing it directly at the subject try bouncing it off the ceiling as this will give a more diffuse light and stop you from getting strong shadows behind the subject. In ETTL the camera/flash should compensate for the fact that you are bouncing it and adjust the power accordingly. This works best when you have normal height ceilings to bounce off, if it's too high then you will not get enough light bouncing back. For this or when shooting outside with fill flash I use something a bit like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...MR2RK1G3W52HQV by altering the angle of it you can control how much flash is pushed forward.

How are you trying to fire the flash when it is off camera? I think to do so you would either need another Canon flash gun on camera, a speedlight transmitter or some radio triggers. If you are triggering the flash with a transmitter of another Canon flash then you will need to make sure you put the EX430 into slave mode and that it is on the same channel as the transmitter (if you are using a 7D you can trigger it with the inbuilt transmitter). Using radio triggers is one of the easiest ways to fire an off camera flash (OCF), you can either use expensive ones like the Pocket Wizards (silly money) or cheapie ones (I use RF603s which cost ~£35 for a set of three). The flash sits on one of them and another fits on the hotshoe of the camera. Doing it this way you need to use the flash in Manual, power can either be adjusted on the flash or by moving it closer to or further from the subject.

Hopefully some of that make some sense...
Old 25-11-11, 12:27

Another alternative is the off camera shoe cord:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...non+off+camera
One end goes in the hot shoe the other end in the flash, use exactly as normal but with the flash held to one side (off axis) so you do not get the red eye.
Old 26-11-11, 22:36

Thank you for the advice portcardcv ad miketoll - i was taking some pics at a wedding and found the best way for me was to put the camera 550d on av and bounce off the ceiling. This was i know silly of me to try for the first time at a wedding but i found it quite ok and did a mixture of the camera flash for the speedlite just for variety. Will now be having a go at learning more about flash! I appreciate your advice above.

Marydoll.
Old 16-02-12, 01:06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Another alternative is the off camera shoe cord:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...non+off+camera
One end goes in the hot shoe the other end in the flash, use exactly as normal but with the flash held to one side (off axis) so you do not get the red eye.
If going for a cable to get your flash off camera - my advice would be to get the non coiled cable type. I had a coiled cable type which was supposed to give 2m reach but as soon as you start to stretch the coil it pulled the light stand over. I've converted it to a 10m straight cable and use cable ties to loop the spare cable out of the way