WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Looking for portable studio lighting

Old 14-08-07, 23:08

Default Looking for portable studio lighting

Hi Everyone!

I'm a regular at BirdForum. Same name.

I've started shooting indoors experimenting with some work lights and use a X10 light module (low cost light control). The work lights are the type that cost $10 and you can attach them someplace to work on an area thats normally not well lighted. The results are not bad but I would really like a solution thats made for indoor photography.

I'm looking to buy a portable lighting system. I was wondering if anyone has has found a set with the following options. 3 or more light sources that come with portable light stands (tripod like), umbrellas and a case. Two options I would really like to have is the ability to add color filters to these lights and to have control over the brightness with some type of numbers on a dial so I can write down settings.

I'm looking for a starter setup and not looking for top of the line. The $3000 kits look great but it's way out of my price range. I was looking for $300 to $600 but if the kit is nice I may go a bit higher.

Just curious if anyone has found anything like this out there.

Thanks!
Old 15-08-07, 02:53

I forgot to mention something in my post. I'm looking for a way to continuously light the room rather than using a strobe light. I was thinking some type of a floodlight(?) could be used with or without a umbrella? I was thinking the umbrella would cast a nice even light across the room. Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 15-08-07, 03:36
Super Moderator

Hi

I recently bought an Interfit Super Cool-lite 5 Fluorescent lighting kit which has two heads with 5 independently switchable cool lite tubes in each to give controllable light intensity. The kit comes with two stands, two reflectors & two soft boxes. I'm v pleased with the results and in UK this retails for £300 see near the bottom of this page

Also see this thread for some pictures of the kit in use in my from room
Old 15-08-07, 06:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Hi

I recently bought an Interfit Super Cool-lite 5 Fluorescent lighting kit which has two heads with 5 independently switchable cool lite tubes in each to give controllable light intensity. The kit comes with two stands, two reflectors & two soft boxes. I'm v pleased with the results and in UK this retails for £300 see near the bottom of this page

Also see this thread for some pictures of the kit in use in my from room
Thanks Gidders,

I like the idea of the 5 Fluorescent Bulbs that can be shut off to lower the light intensity. The heat issue would be much better than a normal light bulb I've been using.

I had my fist experience taking some modeling shots for someones web page when a friend of a friend had trouble with a photographer. It was a good sized group of people in the photo at one time. A total of 7 people were taking up about 9 feet wide and up to 6 to 8 feet tall in the frame. 8 feet a few times with arms in the air. Unfortunately all the girls had their clothes on.

Do you think if I had the kit with: (2) Super Cool Lite 5 Heads and the accessories it would light up a room (12 feet by 12 feet) for a group of people posing for photos? I have a decent flash but would rather have lighting good enough to get decent group shots without the flash if possible.

Thanks!
Old 20-11-10, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBudgie View Post
I forgot to mention something in my post. I'm looking for a way to continuously light the room rather than using a strobe light. I was thinking some type of a floodlight(?) could be used with or without a umbrella? I was thinking the umbrella would cast a nice even light across the room. Any advice?

Thanks!
From my experience umbrellas and softboxes are two totally different light modifiers. Let me just clarify the differences between softboxes and umbrellas. Umbrellas produces high contrasting light but doesn't diffuse the light. Softboxes on the hand diffuses the light through an internal and external diffuser and diffuses the light completely even on the subject.