WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Metz 48 AF-1

Old 05-08-10, 22:14

Default Metz 48 AF-1

Would this be a good flash for a Nikon D40? I have been asked to take some photos for a friends 'Small Scale' wedding & don't want to disappoint them. Any advice on flashguns is appreciated.

Pat
Old 06-08-10, 08:14

I have Metz 58 AF-1 and am very satisfied. I think Metz AF-1 serie is the best.
More information you find [url="http://www.metz.de/"]

http://vanatoi.multiply.com/
Old 06-08-10, 09:44

Dont know anything about the metz, but for that money you could pick up a decent nikon sb600 on ebay for just a little more.
Old 06-08-10, 17:45

I have the Metz 58, the 48 has a very good reputation. The Metz 48 will knock the spots off an SB-600, way, way better spec, and less money.
Old 06-08-10, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I have the Metz 58, the 48 has a very good reputation. The Metz 48 will knock the spots off an SB-600, way, way better spec, and less money.
Thats enough Good News for me. The Metz 48 is the one!!
Old 10-08-10, 13:13

Would'nt say the metz 48 AF-1 has better spec, it has a slightly better zoom range, but then there are a few things that go against the metz, such as a weak head lock so it wont stay put when using a heavy defuser or snoot etc. The shoe is also made from plastic which if dropped will break.(I know this from experience). I did look into getting this flash, but when i tried them both the sb-600 nikon just felt better and was easier to use. The nikon will also hold up better in the second hand market if you decide to up-grade. The price difference is minimal, but you get a case and a tabletop stand.

One last note...After doing a little research, The iTTL flash is one item you probably don't want to buy third-party. At least according to Thom Hogan, all third-party iTTL flashes have comptibility issues. If you really cannot afford the SB-800, try the SB-600.
Old 10-08-10, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
Would'nt say the metz 48 AF-1 has better spec,
Ermmm, and GN 30 (Nikon) vs. GN 48 (Metz),
and being limited to full stop power level increments in manual mode over a 6 stop range (to 1/64th power) - Metz has 7 stop range in 1/3 stop increments.

Quote:
The price difference is minimal,
£230 for the Nikon, £175 for the Metz, that's a 30% price increase for the Nikon over the Metz.

Quote:
but you get a case and a tabletop stand.
Just as you do with the Metz. As for quality/durability issues, next time you see a pack of press 'togs, just see who's flashguns they are using.

Quote:
all third-party iTTL flashes have comptibility issues.
Oh dear, the marketing boys have got you hook, line and sinker. This is complete rubbish. There are many thousands of third party flash users out there, who have no issues at all. The Metz even has the ability for users to upgrade the firmware in the future, making the equipment compatible with cameras that don't yet exist. As it is, just look at the list of caveats in the front of the SB-600 manual to see all the features on existing cameras that it can't support.

Sorry Lee, but don't believe the manufacturer's hype.
Old 10-08-10, 19:39

I can get it new for £159 at http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-me...flashgun.htmat I think I will go ahead & buy.

Last edited by Himself; 10-08-10 at 19:43.
Old 10-08-10, 20:30

just what i read duncan thats all......The marketing boys have nothing to do with it. Id always buy the better product, or rather the one i feel more comfortable with. Its a matter of personal choice at the end of the day!

mental note to myself......why bother trying to give advice........you will get shot down in flames!

duncan you win......

had enough of the sniping
Old 11-08-10, 08:01

Lee,

Firstly, don’t take things personally, posts are not aimed at individuals to belittle them personally. Your opinion is just as valid and valued as anybody else’s. For you, the SB-600 is the right flashgun to have. For you, the perceived benefits are worth the price. There are immeasurable qualities such as ease of use and “feel” that make it right for you. That’s great, and I respect that opinion. If you get on well with a bit of kit, then you’re more likely to use it, I’m a great believer in this edict. However, when there are measurable quantitative values that provide real benefits, it’s only right and proper that these are pointed out.

Manufacturer’s spend many millions of pounds building up the perceived value of their brand, it is a key asset for their company, but none of the big brands make their own flashguns, they all subcontract out the design and manufacture to third parties. I did see a thread on a forum many years ago where a guy had been travelling in Hong Kong and had seen an unfamiliar brand of flash that looked identical (except for the brand/logo) to a Canon 430EX for about half the price. He’d assumed it was a counterfeit rip-off clone but did some research and found it was the company that made them on behalf of Canon. The big brands restrict the sale of such brands in many territories to prevent their brand image and value being watered down. I know that Sunpak used to make all the flashes on behalf of Pentax, if you can find the right model for sale, you can save a fortune.

Don’t get put off posting, you have an input that is valued and every right to express it.

Duncan