WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Canon EF-S Lenses

Old 09-01-06, 14:25

Default Canon EF-S Lenses

Why did Canon bring out the EF-S lens?

Will it raise compatibility issues with my present range of EF lenses for future generations of Canon bodies?

Does the 1.6 'crop factor' still apply with these lenses?

Ken
Old 09-01-06, 14:54

They're designed specifically for more recent digital cameras with the 1.6 crop factor-sized sensor and won't fit anything other than those models stated (at the moment, 300D, 350D and 20D) as they're a bit shorter at the back end.

The crop factor still applies.

As long as Canon keep making bodies with a similar-sized sensor they'll keep making these lenses and probably add a few more.

Independent lens makers' offerings with a similar sized image-circle will fit other bodies even full-framed ones although with those you'll get a circular image in the middle of the frame. Some of the zoom lenses can actually be used over some of their range with the 1.3 crop-factor 1D bodies without cut-off (tests in photo magazines will usually give the range possible)

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 09-01-06, 18:29

Adey,

Thanks for the reply.

To satisfy my curiosity, what is it about the EF-S fitting that makes them more suitable for DSLR's. How is the shorter back end an advantage? To put it another way, how are they more suitable than the EF fit?

Ken
Old 09-01-06, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee
Adey,

Thanks for the reply.

To satisfy my curiosity, what is it about the EF-S fitting that makes them more suitable for DSLR's. How is the shorter back end an advantage? To put it another way, how are they more suitable than the EF fit?
Basically the smaller image circle gives the optical designer more freedom. In principle they can get a higher quality image in part because the lens can be designed such that light rays are mostly perpendicular to the sensor as opposed to at an angle. This is best of for the sensor. The jargon term for this is telecentric. In addition the lens can in principle be smaller and lighter. However, in practice APS sensor compatible lenses do not seem to be smaller or lighter than full frame equivalents. And as to whether or not they are better on APS cameras than full frame lenses, well ... who knows.

Leif
Old 09-01-06, 21:18

And I'd better clarify my 'shorter at the back' bit which on re-reading looks a bit 'wrong!' I meant to say a bit 'closer' to the sensor than a conventional lens so they would foul-up the mirror if you fit them to an incompatible camera.

Most telephoto lenses where the rear element is a fair way inside the lens body seem to be OK, giving a near-telecentric design as described by Leif, so it seems as if the biggest advantage is in the re-designing of shorter focal lengths.

I've got one of Canon's basic 28-80mm zooms which gives reasonable results on my EOS 50E body but the images on my 20D body are not very good other than 'snapshot' standard.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 10-01-06, 11:24

Adey

Thanks very much for the clarification. I undestand now.

Your help is appreciated.

Ken
Old 10-01-06, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker
And I'd better clarify my 'shorter at the back' bit which on re-reading looks a bit 'wrong!' I meant to say a bit 'closer' to the sensor than a conventional lens so they would foul-up the mirror if you fit them to an incompatible camera.

Most telephoto lenses where the rear element is a fair way inside the lens body seem to be OK, giving a near-telecentric design as described by Leif, so it seems as if the biggest advantage is in the re-designing of shorter focal lengths.

I've got one of Canon's basic 28-80mm zooms which gives reasonable results on my EOS 50E body but the images on my 20D body are not very good other than 'snapshot' standard.
Yes, from what I've read the main improvements are to be expected for wide angle lenses for the reasons you've stated. Leif