WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Canon EF24-70f2.8L or EF24-105f4LIS.

Old 09-02-06, 15:27

Default Canon EF24-70f2.8L or EF24-105f4LIS.

I’m thinking of getting a Canon 5D but can’t decided which lens to get with it, EF24-70f2.8L or EF24-105f4LIS. Is there any difference in image quality? Just wondered if anyone had any experience of these lenses, or what your preference would be.

John
Old 09-02-06, 15:52

Why not take a look at the survey given here www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp
You will see there is not much difference, if any, but since the 24/105 has IS I went for that.
You may well be attracted by the f2.8, but don't forget the extra weight.
Here is another useful site http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...ding-mtf.shtml

Last edited by John; 09-02-06 at 15:59.
Old 09-02-06, 22:13

I have the 24-105,a good all round lens.Sharp and clear.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 09-02-06, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Why not take a look at the survey given here www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp
You will see there is not much difference, if any, but since the 24/105 has IS I went for that.
You may well be attracted by the f2.8, but don't forget the extra weight.
Here is another useful site http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...ding-mtf.shtml
Klaus - on PhotoZone - is in the process of testing the 24-105L, and he has published some preliminary findings, which you can find in the forums. It looks impressive, if the resolution is anything to go by. I think it has a fair bit of CA and vignetting at 24mm wide open, but software should cure that. I'm sure owners can add to those last comments.

I am suspicious of the user surveys as they often contradict my own experiences, and the musings of several respected commentators.

Leif
Old 10-02-06, 00:28

Hi John

The 24-105L will be much the same zoom range, IS feature and speed you have on your 20D 17-85IS setup. I would expect the L to be sharper and clearer than your current lens. The 24-70L will be better for low light but only zoom slightly beyond a normal lens. So how much do you use the long end of your current zoom ?

I have the 24-70L f2.8 and it is clear and sharp, But like and Christine we have the smaller sensor of the 20D which will use the sweet spot of the lens. Wieght of the f2.8 ? It took a few weeks to get used to it but I think nothing of it now the wrist muscles have built up.

If the above points have not made the decision for you then the issue will be how much difference is there in the edge performance on a full frame sensor. Both of my L lens have given better results than any other lens I have had.

The chances of finding somebody with a full frame Digital and has tried both of these lens is very slim.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 10-02-06 at 00:40.
Old 10-02-06, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Hi John

The 24-105L will be much the same zoom range, IS feature and speed you have on your 20D 17-85IS setup. I would expect the L to be sharper and clearer than your current lens. The 24-70L will be better for low light but only zoom slightly beyond a normal lens. So how much do you use the long end of your current zoom ?

I have the 24-70L f2.8 and it is clear and sharp, But like and Christine we have the smaller sensor of the 20D which will use the sweet spot of the lens. Wieght of the f2.8 ? It took a few weeks to get used to it but I think nothing of it now the wrist muscles have built up.

If the above points have not made the decision for you then the issue will be how much difference is there in the edge performance on a full frame sensor. Both of my L lens have given better results than any other lens I have had.

The chances of finding somebody with a full frame Digital and has tried both of these lens is very slim.

He might have some luck on Luminous Landscape, where he should find one or two users of both lenses on a 5D. Certainly the forum owner has the kit.

Leif
Old 10-02-06, 09:53

Leif is justified in treating some user reviews with caution. If you are one of these then go to Canon's own US website, where Canon have published their own MTF charts. If you do not understand these, there is an explanatory article at Lunminous Landscapes. A link to this is given in my previous post in this thread.

Last edited by John; 12-02-06 at 23:45.