WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

30D underexposing

Old 25-08-06, 23:24
Super Moderator

Thanks for your help Stephen I was beginning to think I would have to have +1 set in the camera permanently and ignore the in camera Histogram, I wouldn't have been able to accurately chimp anymore LOL!
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 25-08-06, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Thanks for your help Stephen I was beginning to think I would have to have +1 set in the camera permanently and ignore the in camera Histogram, I wouldn't have been able to accurately chimp anymore LOL!
To be honest Christine those defaults can be a pain sometimes. I have just done a load of shots this morning, all in Raw with different exposures to compensate for light and shadow areas. When you look at the thumbnails in Bridge they all look to have the same exposure, cos ACR has applied those defaults. Sometimes wonder why I bother to give compensation LOL
Old 26-08-06, 08:25

Glad it was not the new camera
Old 26-08-06, 09:13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Stephen, I have just disabled the Auto in Camera RAW and saved the new defaults. Gone back into bridge and selected all images and set them to the Camera Raw default. It has worked they are still about a third of a stop out but nothing like they were.
Christine

Before 1 bought my 20D I remembe reading someting about a tendency to slightly underexpose. I find that it underexposes typically by ~1/3 stop. It look like something Canon have built in to try and help us avoid blown highlights. I find the "blinking" pixels wanring very useful and, except in contrastty situations dial in + 1/3 exposure compensation.

As far as the ACR default setting go I never use them - most of us wouldn't use full auto on our camera so why give up control when you get the image into your software I find the best way of judging the exposure for the highlights & shaddows is to hold down the Alt key and then when you click & drag the relevant slider it will show the blown/blocked up pixels & even which RBG channel. I can recommend "Real World Camera RAW" by Bruce Frazer as a good book for getting the best out of your RAW images
Old 26-08-06, 09:30
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone,
I am glad its only a software fault and not the camera but I will miss the ease of doing my workflow in capture one. I can now chimp to my hearts content.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.