WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

30D underexposing

Old 25-08-06, 17:04
Super Moderator

Default 30D underexposing

I got my 30D yesterday and been playing around. All the photo's I have taken are under exposed by about 1 stop is this normal. The saturation and everything else seems fine. I have put an example below.
The histogram on the camera is a little low but not as much is it the software that's not reading the files properly. I have tried all the following programs.
Canon digital professional, Adobe bridge, rawshooter won't take them in, Capture one pro is the worst of the lot I have to give +2 compensation to get a reasonable image. The histograms in all the software are lower that what is seen in the camera. Any ideas.

P.S
1. The first histogram is what it looks like in the camera
2. This is what the histogram looks like in most software
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0250a.jpg (208.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20060825_172126.jpg (32.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20060825_172045.jpg (30.5 KB, 14 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 25-08-06, 19:17

My 20D exposes much better than that. I know it seems silly but have you checked your camera settings, especially the compensation that may or may not be dialled in? All too easy to miss these things on a new camera.
Old 25-08-06, 19:43
Super Moderator

Hi miketoll. I have checked all the settings in the camera there is no compensation set at all. I think it could be down to the software, not reading the files properly, the histogram in the camera was nicely exposed even the photo on the viewing screen looked bright. If you see from the second histogram done in photoshop its underexposed. All the photo's I have taken today I have had to brighten by nearly 1 1/2 stops in the software.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 25-08-06, 19:58

Thought my idea seemed too simple but I've been dafter in my time. I think you need one of the real experts to help you.
Canons own programme ought to read the files ok assuming you are using the latest version that came with the camera, if not update it. Same with the other progs if you are shooting RAW you will have to update by getting the latest plug ins to support the 30D. Other than that I'm baffled. Try different card, reformat the one you have? I will be interested to see what other folks come up with.
Old 25-08-06, 21:36

Christine,

I know I am not going to be a lot of help but ....

The card theory should be easily checked by reviewing an image from the card in camera.

Have you done a comparison with a jpeg best quality to see if this is a RAW file phenominon only ??

Don
Old 25-08-06, 21:55
Super Moderator

Thanks Don,
I only have the camera set on RAW not on Raw+jpeg. I have just run some extra tests, not the best because I am hand holding. I found the best photo for viewing on the PC screen was with +1 compensation but in the camera it looks overexposed, The more I play I think it is down to software not reading the as shot raw images the same as what you see in the camera. The histograms are so different.

Old 25-08-06, 22:15

Christine,

Saw you had gone off for the test

I was thinking of a test in jpeg only just to see if the histogram in that mode is correct. If so then it is down to the various programs reading of the raw file.

Don
Old 25-08-06, 22:42

Christine, as a matter of interest, what version of Photoshop are you using? I'm guessing its CS2 If so you will be using Adobe Camera Raw, am I right? Could it be then that the default settings, the ones with the check boxes checked, are doing you no favours. At the end of the day these are only a 'best guess' and are attempting to give you the best fit histogram, its down to you to adjust as you want if you are not satisfied with those default settings.
Old 25-08-06, 23:14
Super Moderator

Stephen, I have just disabled the Auto in Camera RAW and saved the new defaults. Gone back into bridge and selected all images and set them to the Camera Raw default. It has worked they are still about a third of a stop out but nothing like they were.

This image is the same one as above with nothing done to it apart from removed the auto settings.

The histogram is very close to what was in the camera.

For general editing of my workflow I use C1Pro and there doesn't seem to be a way of changing the defaults for the Compensation, so I am not going to be able to use it until they rectify the discrepancies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0250b.jpg (228.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20060825_231144.jpg (28.3 KB, 5 views)

Old 25-08-06, 23:19

Amazing, glad it worked out