WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Fuji Finepix S9500

Old 27-06-07, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
One other thing I just remembered...
Some of the high end Nikons also have interchangeable focus screens....so manual focusing can be made easier by putting in a split screen or microprism screen, as your F2 and OM10 would have had, as apposed to the blank AF ones fitted as standard in digi bodies these days.... This is something Jacky and I have found when using her Canon eos digi body (with a fixed/ non-interchangeable AF 'blank' focusing screen) with my old manual lenses!
Nikon screens for the D1 and D2 series do not have any focussing aids in the way of microprism or split image. There is a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder that does the same thing though. I use M/F Nikkors on my D2X all the time with no probs. The D1X has the previous incarnation of A/F sensor - Multicam 1300 which is still a step up from that in the D200 so I cannot see you having a problem there.

500mm Reflex Nikkor would give aperture priority and manual on the D1X. D100 will not give any metering with this lens. Sorry.

Don
Old 27-06-07, 22:26

This actually sounds very promising, thanks Don, for your help.
Old 27-06-07, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The 5.7 megapixel D1x is around £400 at the cheapest S/H price I've seen...Not the highest megapixel DSLR around, but really quick. (it's a pro spec body, based on the Film F5 counterpart, so there's some really battered ones around, as well as good well looked after ones)
Interestingly, D100's tend to fetch the same sort of money. I believe these also use CompactFlash cards. However, D40,D50 and D80's are no go as they use SD cards.(which you can't get xD adapters for)
The D1x is one I would possibly like to get my hands on some time in the future, for the same reasons as you.
First off yes both the D100 and D1X use Compact flash cards. D1X is 5.7mp but in NC4.4 or NX these can be upsized to 10mp as it has a rather different sensor. Image quality from the D1X is reckoned to exceed that from the D100. At the time of release the D1X was £3500 rising to £3900 against the D100 at £1600 falling to £1200.

D100 advantages over the D1X. Built in pop up flash, incredible battery life and for those that have no experience of an F2, light weight. Battery grip optional.

D1X advantages over the D100 ............. well lots really, but I just could not afford one at the time. The only real downside of the D1X is battery life. A spare is really needed. I think its about 500 shots per charge whereas the D100 is loads more.

Don
Old 27-06-07, 22:56

Oh I forgot, sorry Joe, but Park Cameras are doing SanDisk CompactFlash ULTRA II 2GB for £26.99 at the moment. They also have a D1X for 500 notes but it lacks a charger.

Don
Old 28-06-07, 21:58

Thanks Don....with the right software the D1x now looks an even more attractive option for myself one day!

One question tho....I've not used the nikon software....with that same software, can anything be done to the low res from an even older D1? they go for peanuts now (even less than a film F5 in some instances)
Old 28-06-07, 22:01

With the absence of it at work now I've had S/H kit from these guys in the past....

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

Can thoroughly recommend them
Old 29-06-07, 12:33

Joe,

With shed loads more rain due, I will have plenty of time to see if I can find links to pics or even hopefully RAW files taken with the D1 and the D1X, and compare specs etc. Hopefully do a few screen grabs etc.

That lot should keep me busy for a bit.

Only the D1X RAW files can be uprezed in Nikon Capture or NX to 10mp. That is probably down to the rather odd native sensor resolution of 4028 x 1324 raw pixels.

Don
Old 21-12-08, 00:04

Other questions on the 9500 if I may? In manual focusing, is there any way of presetting focus, so as to ensure it does not change in a series of shots? At times, I try and set to a distant object/feature and it decides to inform me that it is not going to play today and refuses to even try a focus, reporting AF error. The focusing ring is very slow in action ... is there a control to increase the speed of focusing for that ring? Thanks - Raymond
Old 21-12-08, 18:15

Hi Raymond,
Wow, that's an old thread you've posted on! D1 has long been dismissed preferring the speed and better hi ISO of D1h bodies, and a D1x is now in my posession.

You'd probably have been better to have started a new thread, maybe?

A slightly confusing request for help......If you have selected a manual focus option, it means the camera AF drive is desengaged. Therefore, the camera will not focus by itself, you have to move the focussing ring. Many AF cameras will still 'report back' the focus results even when MF is selected, as the cameras inbuild AF sensors are still functional. Therefore, as you turn the focus ring manually the camera indicates whether or not it agrees with your manual focussing....but untimately you still have control of that focusing.
Would like to help more, but you might need to elaborate on what exactly the issue is with your camera??
Old 21-12-08, 19:13

The issue is one of two parts ...
a) Auto Focus, on some subjects, refuses to focus, particularly on long shots, such as horizon or cloud.
b) Manual Focus, which I try as the obvious alternative, is extremely slow; if the button is set to MF, the centre button then pressed, the focus reaches near where it it should be on 'normal' subjects, and the ring is then turned to finalise focus; however, there are occasions when it refuses to focus at all on first press, and the ring is the only way, and that takes forever.
Any assistance at all will be welcome.
On a state pension, there is little chance of my purchasing a new camera for many moons, so, having been pleased with the results to date, I would like to get the best out of what I have. Arthritis also limits the amount of equipment sensible for me to carry, and to hold. I have a Nikon, with a 500mm catadioptric lens, but it quite simply is too heavy for my wrists.