WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Rollei 35 S

Old 15-11-09, 21:16

Really the Rollei I was hoping to use once or twice and sell on for a bit of a profit : )... I had a bid in for 20 pounds and I had heard that they sell for quite a bit more!!!... but now I have been out bid!... I do hope to use a medium format for sure... especially for portraits... a Mamiya 645 or a Bronica... I have a link to a site through a friend in the US and I could get a full kit for... 90 pounds... so I am thinking of saving for a few months and maybe making the investment... I really have fallen for using film in a big way!!!... and I love the idea of a Nikon F2... I like the Pentax ME... but i'd like a lot more control over the shots... and thats just Auto... but... wow... I LOVE the look of film... it just feels more natural and... the moment is more... of the moment (I know its NOT... but it FEELS as though it is hehe!) and I like waiting to see the results!!!

Thank you all for your great advice on the Rollei...
Old 15-11-09, 21:35

There's loads of Rollei 35 at work which have suffered the same fate....The photographer forgets to wind-on, then pushes the lens assembly back into the body, thus breaking the mechanism. Great little cameras, suprisingly heavy tho. I think most user examples at work go for around £50-60 in the shop.
I got an XA with matched flash for 99p on ebay. I've had some really sharp results from it. A nice little camera....The 'non zoom' 35mm film Mju's have sharp lenses too.

It's scarey how medium format film gear has plumeted in price. I remember lusting after kit whilst at uni in the early 90s....and the same stuff is now selling for less than a DSLR body only.
Old 15-11-09, 21:38

Thanks for the tip Joe : )
Old 15-11-09, 21:53

In terms of using it once or twice then selling for a few pennies profit, I'm very much of like mind....
As some will know here, before I switched to mainly shooting digi I was using Contax RTS kit and also had a Nikon F5. Once i realised the RTS system was quite collectable I sold it and made enough to pay for a D1 system (now updated to D2)....The F5 followed afterwards. The requirement for 8fps action capability from the F5 was satified by the D2h without the associated film stock costs.
I've since tried a number of other Nikon film bodies. (the Nikkorex F is on ebay as I type, F50,55, F70, F80 and F90x all tried, but those felt TOO much like a digi body LOL).....but have happily settled for an F301. VERY cheap S/H at the mo (so easily justified for occasional film use), incredibly underated as a camera with as much manual as I want or fully auto should I want. I would highly recommend it to anyone (mines got the cheaper AAA battery baseplate, but if you see one with the more desirable AA baseplate, go for it!)
The bonus is most of my lenses used with the D2 system will fit staight onto the F301 (tho I have a soft spot for using older lenses on digi)
Old 15-11-09, 22:15

So do you want medium format, 35mm, SLR, rangefinder, compact...let the grainy film devil in the back of your head take over :P
Old 15-11-09, 22:18

There's never been a better time to get some Film camera bargains....lots out there
Old 15-11-09, 22:19

Hehe... ALL of the above ; ) an F2 Nikon for sure and a Mamiya M645 1000s as soon as I can : D
Old 15-11-09, 22:22

find an F2as (the one with the later slightly more reliable LED photomic head)......and you'll be hooked!
Old 15-11-09, 22:25

Thats exactly the one I am looking for Joe
Old 15-11-09, 22:28

COOL!!!

......and with a motordrive attached it is one serious hardcore bit of kit (tho pretty brutal without too!)