WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Options for around £250?

Old 03-09-09, 21:35

Default Options for around £250?

Hi All

Firstly, at this stage I really don't know if I want to blow a heap of cash on a DSLR ...however I still find myself spending my spare time visiting places and taking pics with my borrowed compact. I'm constantly finding great pics but my camera won't let me take them!! Admittedly it's taken a couple of good pics but I'm beginning to hanker after something a bit better, it's only a Kodak 4.0 mega pixals type thing!!

Despite recent advice I'm still thinking about the new Panasonic FZ38, I know for a fact I'd never use the massive zoom lens on it prefering wide angle shots of buildings etc...with this in mind would this or any other bridge type camera be a false economy? I just wish it was limited to a focal length of 18-55mm as I've used an FZ18 and thought it quite capable.

Apart from something secondhand, what sort of camera should I be looking at for the above price? At the end of the day I just want to get out there and take pics while I'm still learning the basics etc.

Cheers

M
Old 04-09-09, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Green View Post
I'm still thinking about the new Panasonic FZ38, I know for a fact I'd never use the massive zoom lens on it prefering wide angle shots of buildings etc...with this in mind would this or any other bridge type camera be a false economy?
YES.

Get a used dSLR with kit lens. It'll be cheaper than FZ38, give way better picture quality, teach you how to use a camera far more, and allow you to be far more creative.
Old 04-09-09, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
YES.

Get a used dSLR with kit lens. It'll be cheaper than FZ38, give way better picture quality, teach you how to use a camera far more, and allow you to be far more creative.
I agree. Lots of choice around with sensors 6mp+ (which will let you print at A4 - most people DONT need more than this despite what the adverts would have us believe), with control options from full auto to full manual and bulb. Brand - doesnt really matter, though how it feels in your hand does. It would be quite hard to go wrong really - whatever dslr you pick will allow you to experiment and learn.
Old 04-09-09, 15:09
Super Moderator

I'd agree that a DSLR would be a better move, get in touch with the shop in Dereham I'm sure they could do you a used DSLR and lens for well under budget.
Old 06-09-09, 12:58

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful!

I've seen a secondhand Canon EOS 350d and kit lense going cheap, haven't commited myself yet but am thinking it's a good a start as anything?

Matt
Old 06-09-09, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Green View Post
Thanks for all the replies, most helpful!

I've seen a secondhand Canon EOS 350d and kit lense going cheap, haven't commited myself yet but am thinking it's a good a start as anything?

Matt
The camera shop in my local town did have a 1000d 2nd hand for about £300????
Old 06-09-09, 16:46
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
The camera shop in my local town did have a 1000d 2nd hand for about £300????
That seems very expensive as you can buy it new body only for £320 and only £40 more with a kit lens.

The 350D is a very nice camera, it's quite small and light weight, is easy to use and can give very good results. I reckon that somewhere in the £150-200 is right for one with a kit lens, depending on condition.
Old 14-09-09, 21:39

If you want to be a total purist and want some serious quality and versatility (bang for your buck) get a used 35mm film SLR. Bear with me on this one: 200-300 pounds buys you a LOT of film camera: hang around ffordes photographic or eBay for some bargains (LCE is also good). You can get an Olympus OM (damn good SLR) for 80 pounds, working order and 50mm Zuiko kit lens. Then shop around for more lenses that take your fancy: 28mm, 35mm and loads and loads of telephotos-all by the legendary Zuiko. Nikon Fs, Canon A-1s, Minolta XEs and Pentax Spotmatics are also popular and fine, rugged cameras.

Older manual film cameras are what I am using to educate myself in the finer points of exposure, focus, depth of field, composition etc. It's a far more 'hands on' way of learning--a learner today will find themselves pressing a button and nothing more. With a good old manual SLR you will really, truly see what you are photographing, how a photograph comes to be; you know the shutter speed, you can modify it, along with the aperture with easy-to-reach and read controls. What's more, this manual approach means that when you get a decent shot (which you certainly will) you'll feel a lot prouder.

Don't be afraid about getting an antique that doesn't work: back in the day cameras were built to last, and it wasn't unusual to find robust metal construction on cheap compacts from the USSR, let alone a high-end Japanese (or German if you have the money) SLR. The quality on some older cameras really is outstanding; to this day the f stops on my 30 pound Yashica rangefinder click into place with an air of precision and the focussing ring turns with unerring smoothness.

'Grumpy old man rant mode off'

Alex

Last edited by Alex1994; 14-09-09 at 21:44.