WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Sigma 50-500 or Tamron 200-500

Old 21-07-07, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
See niriofo's post number #4 above.
Just testing you there to make sure you weren't sleeping as I clearly was !!!!!!!
Old 27-07-07, 08:00

I'm just testing a Tamron 200-500mm for a magazine, it is a very good lens that knocks the spots off the Sigma, I'd probably cut about 2 inches off the hood if it were mine as this causes some vignetting when the lens is used on a full frame (1Ds MkII) body, but with smaller sensors there is no such problem and the results are sharp, vibrant and have good contrast and colour accuracy.
Old 04-08-07, 11:25

As I started all this I thought I would add a bit more. In the end I bought a Tamron 200-500 and have used it quite a bit over the winter and brought it up to Lofoten in Norway for the summer (http://www.mejhogan.com/gallery2/mai...g2_itemId=301). It is a very good lens, especially if you keep it closed down. However, as it is quite a heavy beast I get the best results using a tripod. I have gotten good results on bright day using a monopod but hand held - not great. So I am thinking of selling it (see for sate items) and changing to this configuration - Sigma 500 f4.5 prime and probably a Nikon 70-300 VR f4.5. This will give me a good long lens for the tripod and a carryable lens with reasonable reach.

Madness or inspiration ;-) ?

Last edited by Michael Hogan; 04-08-07 at 11:27.