WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Second-hand 300D

Old 18-05-07, 19:27

Default Second-hand 300D

Just wondering what your views are on purchasing a second-hand camera?

The camera in question is a Canon EOS 300D which is from LCE for £250 (UK)

Now I'm probably being over careful but my main thoughts are to say no because it's second-hand and a high-precision instrument. I just read on dpreview.com that the 300D is also discontinued - how does this fare?

My mum has had a lot of dealings with LCE with her camcorders and has been very pleased with their customer services and after-sales support but I'm still quite unsure about it all...

EDIT: I also have a Canon EOS 3000N and I believe the lenses can be used on both cameras.
Old 18-05-07, 19:32

If you have Canon lenses that you are right to stick with Canon. I dont have any experience of this model but I know plenty of our members do.
Old 18-05-07, 20:19

I have the 300D and have been very happy with it, but for approx £30 more you could buy a refurbished Canon 10D http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet-D...QQcmdZViewItem
And yes, EOS lens should work perfectly with either camera
Old 18-05-07, 20:50

I had a 300D a good camera but a bit slow by todays standards for some subjects (slow boot and wake up time). 10D would be the same.

£250 seems a bit pricey so make sure its comes complete with a cleaned sensor, memory cards, software and charger etc.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 18-05-07, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
I have the 300D and have been very happy with it, but for approx £30 more you could buy a refurbished Canon 10D http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet-D...QQcmdZViewItem
And yes, EOS lens should work perfectly with either camera
Just had a look at the link and the item is without a lense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
I had a 300D a good camera but a bit slow by todays standards for some subjects (slow boot and wake up time). 10D would be the same.

£250 seems a bit pricey so make sure its comes complete with a cleaned sensor, memory cards, software and charger etc.
From what I can gather it's just the camera and lense but I'll check with about the cleaned sensor. I'll also ask about chucking in a memory card although I've found a 4GB CF card online for £18.

I did mention about the battery and he showed me a charger in-store so I'm thinking it comes without a charger.
Old 18-05-07, 23:02

My advice is don't pay over £200 for one secondhand. In theory if it's from a dealer, it should come with a warranty of sorts...usually around 6 months (check what period it is for and up it if there's an option). Ultimately that is what you are paying the extra bit for. That is, peace of mind for that period...and that peace of mind costs you £50 by the sounds of it.
The wife has been very happy with her 300D. In fact I've never seen her take so many photographs!
Yes, I would agree this camera is soooooo slow...which pretty much rules out getting a good high shot selection if your into action or any high speed photography. Putting a high speed memory card doesn't make much of a difference either, as it's the camera's processor speed and short buffer that slows it up.
Check which film lenses you have and ask to try them on the 300D BEFORE you buy....to check they'll work (even ones listed as 'digi' compatible).
I don't blame you for sticking with Canon if you got the lenses AND they work.

Having said all this, if you're after a good secondhand Canon to get you into the digi world for general photography, and want a camera that can achieve some good high quality images when used correctly...this is an excellent start.

Much hinges on those lenses working (check no 'err' messages flash up on the LCD during or after you take a shot)... if the lenses, or just one doesn't work, way up the rpo's and cons of considering new gear.....

Don't totally rule out buying new.
DSLR's are continuing to drop in purchase price. High street prices start at less than £300 for Pentax's......a 350D body only is not much more than that coming in at less than £350, so too the Nikons....and they're quicker cameras

Hope this helps
good luck
cheers
Joe

Last edited by Joe; 18-05-07 at 23:08.
Old 19-05-07, 00:14

Thanks for those words of advice! At the moment I only have one lense for my 3000N and it's the kit lense. I'm hoping that any extra lenses I buy in the future will be able to be used on both.

Money is quite tight at the moment and if I go ahead with the purchase... wel... let's just say my fiance is going to "own" me for quite some time!

I feel I've gone as far as I can with my Olympus now and after playing with the 3000N (which I've not had for long) I can't wait to get my hands on a DSLR.

I don't plan on taking any pictures of anything fast right now as most of my pictures are of sunsets, clouds, "general scenes" and anything else where I can take my time. Anything has got to be better than my Olympus - the time that takes to start up seems like forever!
Old 19-05-07, 14:36

..if you go for the 300D you can always upgrade it with a software hack to a 10D equivalent giving you MLU (Mirror Lock Up) and some other nifty odds and sods the 300D lacks. I have one and had to have it repaired recently because the shutter mechanism screwed-up resulting in the ominous 'err99' that seems prevalent in this model along with some other earlier 10Ds + 20Ds. I would save up for a more up-to-date 350D or even 400D if I were you.
Old 19-05-07, 23:15

Zeb,
If finances are tight and you want an easy way to get a DSLR, most high street retailers offer interest free credit for 12 months (and usually if you pay it off within that period no fees or interest is applied...however typically a massive 25% + is applied otherwise)...also many offer extended accident and repair cover to take cover up above and beyond the limited 12 month manufacturers warranties....
So basically you can buy a camera and know they'll be no tears if the worst happens or it develops a fault within the first few years (which it otherwise might do if you bought secondhand)
However, if you feel brave and want to take the dip secondhand, hunt around, then do some more hunting.....there's some REAL bargains at the mo (which aren't nccessarily on the ebay!)

Above all...golden rule as a high street consumer...always ask if a 'deal' can be done (even when buying s/h).
Contrary to popular belief, some shop staff enjoy the banter!

good luck, and happy hunting

Last edited by Joe; 19-05-07 at 23:18.
Old 19-05-07, 23:42

I'm not familiar with UK prices, but that sounds like way too much to me, especially for a camera that is incompatible with the very popular EF-S range of normal and wide Canon lenses: the EF-S 18-55, EF-S 17-85, EF-S 17-55, EF-S 10-22, and EF-S 60mm macro.

What you save on the camera you could well drop again on lenses.

PS: Zeb, there is only one "e" in the word "lens".