WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Dust removal systems...

Old 17-04-07, 16:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
Tannin I am motivated to change my XT for a XTi in near future. Of course if I don't go Nik or Pentax.
I have a 350D (XT) and a 400D (XTi), the dust removal in the 400D seems effective, I've yet to have any dust issues (which I do get with the 350D). I can't compare it to other manufacturers systems, but it seems to work well enough to me.

(As an aside, there are numerous other improvements that make the XTi overall a better camera than the excellent XT).
Old 20-04-07, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBullCZ View Post
Interesting. And how often do you change lenses on your camera?
I am only rarely experiencing some dust on sensor of my Nikon, but that is probably because I am really trying hard to protect the lens mount during lens swap and also because so far I have not been to real harsh dusty environment.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away on business.

I change lenses probably about once per week, and typically take about 30 shots per week on average. My everyday lens on the K10D is the Tamron 24-135 which has quite a long "trombone" action, certainly much more of a zoom extension than the 18-55 kit lens which was the norm on my DS. This extension, also present on my 16-45 Pentax which I use for wider angle shots, will have the effect of sucking in and blowing out air in the mirror/shutter chamber.
Old 24-04-07, 21:45

Anyone know what happens when the magical sticky pad the dust gets shaken to is 'full' ?
Still early days I guess....will be interesting to find out what's happening in a few years time
Old 25-04-07, 18:53

I bought Olympus because of all the worries about sensor dust. My E-300 has never had a single dust spot since I bought it in September 2005. Whatever else is said about the Olympus E-system the dust removal works. Maybe I will have to pay for a service in 3 or 4 years to clean the sticky pad, small price I say. Partisan i am not, I have just bought a Fuji s9600 to supplement my equipment.
Old 26-04-07, 19:46

I think some sensors must attract dust more than others. I finally got round to looking at Craftysnappers dust test and am more convinced than ever now.

In the nearly a year that I have had my D2X I have used the blower less than half a dozen times. While I limit lens changes on dusty rally fields, I am not too bothered otherwise. On a day out I may take 12-24, 55 macro, 105, 400 and converter, and will do several lens changes in the course of the day. After a trip to the coast I usually have to vac the sand out my bag, so those lens changes are not in still air conditions. Foxy would kill me for saying this but I quite often forget to turn power off - electronic cameras still getting my head round them. ( edit ) Ooops just done it again to check the macro lens for this post.

I think another factor also plays a significant part in the desireability of built in dust removal and it effectiveness and that is lens choice. My zooms are all short, so the barrel extension on maximum zoom ranges from 0 to 25mm. Most used is 12-24 at 0 ( environmentaly sealed behind the uv filter ) the 28-105 has 25mm full extension, I rarely zoom quickly anyway. All other lenses used are old fixed focal with the 55 macro having the greatest movement of elements. But as that requires turning the focus ring through around 300 deg, its not exactly quick. Certainly none of these could be described as mirror box dust pumps. Looking at some of the lens review pics on Photozone some 10x zooms seem to have a significant extension when zoomed out. So racking these in and out is bound to have a greater effect on any dust that may be in the mirror box.

Don
Old 26-04-07, 22:00

Carman, I am with you on the Olympus E system. I've only come into contact with a couple, but I have nothing but praise for the E-400 we still got in at the mo. A very compact unit, great control layout and nice sharp lenses. (some of the sharpest in the biz)
I think some major critisism have been levied against Olympus in the last decade or so.....Olympus have certainly appeared to move toward the direction of where companies like Leica are, and less so mainstream...I think that all started when production numbers got cut dramatically, back in the days of the OM4 etc Olympus started getting all 'exclusive' prices shot up over night, in some cases doubling.
My only personal critisism of Olympus E-series cameras is they really missed a trick by not retaining the OM mount design....The small but very dedicated band of Olympus fans were gutted about that one too.
Old 27-04-07, 05:57

Although they changed the mount it's perfectly possible to use older Olympus lenses - and other fittings too - with a simple adaptor. I believe they provided one free for early E-1 buyers. Unlike some other systems you keep metering in AP and M. There is a certain 'feel' to Olympus DSLRs - I just hope the new top of the range model is'nt too expensive and aimed at the pro Canon/Nikon market, as that would seem to be a wasted effort. What we need is something to match the D200/Fuji S5 sector. The new E-510 looks interesting though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 27-04-07, 20:41

It does. I'm not holding my breath for a 'reasonable' price tho.
It is slightly difficult to understand why Olympus have pitched the prices of their E-system cameras and lenses where they are....all too frequently I've heard people saying they'd consider "if it were £50,60 or 70 cheaper"...which would certainly re-aline them with the likes of Canon,Nikon,Pentax and all. Some of the olympus kit is similar in price league to the Leitz kit.
If I'd found the OM1 comfortable I'd certainly be going with the E-system....especially if I'd gotten one of those expensive olympus adapters for free
Old 28-04-07, 12:32

In the five years of owning DSLRs (all Canons) I've never found dust to be anything but a minor problem. Far less of a problem that when I run my own darkroom.
My method of cleaning is the Pec-Pad/ Eclipse route. Simple, effective and takes just a couple of minutes. I have 3 DSLRs, all used very frequently with continuous lens changing. This year I have cleaned the sensor on two of them.

As for the blower method, well I tried it once and finished up with a bit of dirt in the viewfinder of my 300D, This happened at about the same time that Sue (Greypoint) had a similar experience. Have not used a blower since
Old 03-05-07, 17:31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Carman, I am with you on the Olympus E system. I've only come into contact with a couple, but I have nothing but praise for the E-400 we still got in at the mo. A very compact unit, great control layout and nice sharp lenses. (some of the sharpest in the biz)
I think some major critisism have been levied against Olympus in the last decade or so.....Olympus have certainly appeared to move toward the direction of where companies like Leica are, and less so mainstream...I think that all started when production numbers got cut dramatically, back in the days of the OM4 etc Olympus started getting all 'exclusive' prices shot up over night, in some cases doubling.
My only personal critisism of Olympus E-series cameras is they really missed a trick by not retaining the OM mount design....The small but very dedicated band of Olympus fans were gutted about that one too.
I absolutely agrees about the OM mount. There were no AF connections to worry about so why change? Anyway water under the bridge.