WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Ring Light

Old 24-01-09, 21:42

Default Ring Light

For those of you who can remember the homemade ring flash thread (see link) http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1860
I have just finished making another one, This one is just a ring light (not flash) It started with a circle of plywood with a hole for lens to poke through that I had ready to make a ring flash using six disposable cameras (I got them from Morrisons) I had seen one made on the Internet, But I got so busy, I just didn't get round to finishing the project.
We had an old illuminated sign at work that was going to be skipped, inside the sign was ring tube about 12" in diameter with all the things that make a tube light work. I took the tube home and attached it to the front of the plywood, fitted a new wire with a plug to tube unit and also fitted an in line switch, which I attached to the back of the plywood (saves keep bending down and turning the unit off at the plug, plus it stops me getting a bad back) The original thought was to take to my studio for some close up face shots. But I needed to try it out first, So here a a few shots taken just after I finished the unit. I won't be back at the studio for about 2 weeks, so I will have to wait to try it with people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peppers.jpg (363.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Light ring flash test.jpg (183.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Light ring flash test1.jpg (296.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg light ring.jpg (239.7 KB, 22 views)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 24-01-09, 23:00

Thanks Lello, I don't normally try things like this, but this one I just might ....

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 25-01-09, 00:50

Just found this link, looks a lot heavier than mine!!

link

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 25-01-09, 15:48

As the unit is not a flash I think I've put post in the wrong thread

Lelsphotos
Old 25-01-09, 16:25

Thumbs up

Neat idea Lello.

It will be interesting to see the effect when you achieve when you get into your studio.

I do not have a similar tube to try this out at the moment. My initial thought would be to have a square mount frame so that an adjustable reflector could be added on each side to make a bit more of the lost light.
Me playing with lighting thats not flash based - now that would be a first.

No idea of the subject distance on the attatched pics to get a feel for the exposure required.

Don
Old 25-01-09, 16:34

Hi Don,
I thought you might need a project to work on
The room was almost dark (I didn't want any stray lights) The ring was about 12" away, and as you can see the flowers a actually touching the wall so very happy with lack of shadows. I tried the ring with Tina this morning and she says it is way to bright for her and it made her squint I did get a few with the the ring light catch in her eyes (she won't let me post her photo) Might have to try and defuse somehow.
Lello

Lelsphotos
Old 25-01-09, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Neat idea Lello.

It will be interesting to see the effect when you achieve when you get into your studio.

I do not have a similar tube to try this out at the moment. My initial thought would be to have a square mount frame so that an adjustable reflector could be added on each side to make a bit more of the lost light.
Me playing with lighting thats not flash based - now that would be a first.

No idea of the subject distance on the attatched pics to get a feel for the exposure required.

Don
I think your idea of some sort of deflector might work (I don't know how on my unit what with the round shape (should have thought about that before getting the jigsaw out) I will have a think!! maybe corrugated cardboard fixed round the edge!!!!
Lello

Lelsphotos
Old 25-01-09, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
........ I tried the ring with Tina this morning and she says it is way to bright for her and it made her squint I did get a few with the the ring light catch in her eyes (she won't let me post her photo) Might have to try and defuse somehow.
Lello
I can well understand the brightness bit unless ambient light is raised to compensate. I have been trying without much luck so far, to find pics to fully understand a portrait lighting set up when using a tungsten/flourescent ring light.

I'll keep looking.

Don