WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Nikon SB600 vs SB900

Old 30-05-09, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
A quick scan through shows :- Quote from the SB-600 instruction manual section about Advanced Wireless Lighting ( page 60 ) -
" The SB-600 can be used as a remote flash unit only. " So you would need to buy an SU-4 Slave Controller for wireless control of multiple units.

Don
Hi Don and Andy,

I am aware that the SB600 cannot be used as a commander unit but after talking to my local camera guys and actually using this simple piece of equipment I have found a cheap way of using my inbuilt speedlight as a commander unit. Its all thanks to the Nikon SG-3IR. Its the attachment that the R1 close up kit uses to fire any remote flashes. It attaches the hot shoe of your camera and the inbuilt speedlight pops up nice and snug behind it and when you take the photo the inbuilt speedlight fires and the white light is converted to an IR signal and sets off the other remote slave units. Its a brilliant simple piece of plastic This simple unit replaces the SU-800 wireless commander in the R1C1 kit as the SU-800 isn't needed if you have an inbuilt speedlight.

Here is the link to it in the Nikon website. http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....030-e1d9cd8216

I have used it to fire a remote off the camera SB800 and the results are pretty good. If you click on my flickr link at the bottom of this post you can see the results of this SG-3IR couple with an off the camera SB800 used on pictures DSC3689 (no diffuser, side lit) and DSC3688 (Diffused through a square 2 litre ice cream container, side lit).

Check out some of my photos at:

www.flickr.com/photos/pooly_dw
Old 30-05-09, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds View Post
.................. Here is the link to it in the Nikon website. http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem....030-e1d9cd8216

I have used it to fire a remote off the camera SB800 and the results are pretty good. If you click on my flickr link at the bottom of this post you can see the results of this SG-3IR couple with an off the camera SB800 used on pictures DSC3689 (no diffuser, side lit) and DSC3688 (Diffused through a square 2 litre ice cream container, side lit).
Well you seem to have cracked it.
Good examples of various lighting/diffusion set ups on your flickr link. I particularly like the 2 litre ice cream container idea.

Don