WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Canon 580 Slave flash Question

Old 21-01-07, 23:11
Super Moderator

Thanks Rob, you were brave cutting up your cable, I know thats the kind of thing I would have done and probably will when I get one. Why don't they have them in different lengths like some of the other cables, its a pain when you don't have a choice. Never mind it just means more blue peter adaptions.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 21-01-07, 23:39

I found a link where a number of electronics bods like myself had extended the cable by various means. It seems to work OK upto five or six metres OK. Part of the problem is making sure the digital signals don't get degraded by extending the cable too far. There were many links to a store in the USA that would make custom lengths upto 50 metres. Personally I think 50 metres is too far and will cause a problem. When I got onto the site they seem to have stopped selling them. Maybe Canon got onto them for one of two reasons. Firstly the item will no longer conform to the electrical regulations. i.e the CE mark in Europe or FCC in USA. This includes electrical interference. The other is if the signals are degraded much this will lead to unreliable operation.

Alot of the guys cut the cable and inserted a longer cable with plugs and sockets. In my case I replaced the exsisting cable with a 6 way multicore screened cable. Thereby I can restore the original cable if need be.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 22-01-07, 14:55
Admin

I bought the off camera cord 2 from a u.k. supplier for £27 + £3p&p on ebay (Denise Camera?)... obviously a grey import but without major shipping cost.

Bit flimsy vs Nikon though
Old 22-01-07, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Bit flimsy vs Nikon though
Many reports of damaged cords. I suspect not man enough to take the weight of the 580ex unsupported.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 22-01-07, 15:09
Super Moderator

I have heard about reports on cracking of the connector head, not sure which end. Its something to be aware of and not pull at it.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 22-01-07, 15:14
Admin

Although I've heard the tales of woe about the cable, it's the block that the flash attaches to that seems a bit weak... with the flash on a bracket, catch the flash gun on something, even lightly and there could be trouble.

No problems here, but I'm not a regular flash user.