WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > Discussion on Photo of the Week

sticking neck out (again)

Old 04-03-08, 22:52

I post my images here because I think there are some very good technical photographers who frequent this forum and I'm wanting to improve my own photography. Now and again I'll get a comment that helps me and other times I'll wonder why a photo I post gets ignored.

What I'm learning is something I think is great is not viewed as such by others - for whatever reason. Whereas a picture I may think is 'ordinary' is singled out for high praise. Who's right?

Well it wouldn't be fun if we all thought the same, so diversity is what makes our photography unique. For the record I'm often left thinking 'what a load of crap' just as I'm often left thinking 'Wow - what a stunning image'.

I do agree though... it would be nice if we learned why an image has been chosen. After all I'm not alone in thinking like I do am I?

My New Website
Old 04-03-08, 22:58
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
May I respectfully remind you all that the photo of the week that depicts a corona bottle on a beach is NOT open for critique. Its creator did not opt to ask for any critique on the photo upload form nor uploaded it to the critique board. Please respect the wishes of the photo's creator.
Apologies for not having noticed blank where critique is requested or not, both to moderators and Sharon. Personally it seems odd to me to post photos on a forum and expect only positive comment, but if this is a rule rather than a guide, the link from the forum to the POTW photo should include the whole panel below the photo.

My outrage was not critique of the photograph as an abstract image nor of skill in its taking, but that something should be held up as exemplary which I find slightly disgraceful, though I hope Sharon that you took it away and recycled or binned it afterwards.

If anyone does not understand this, I suggest they report to their nearest National Trust or community beach clearance team and spend a few hours picking up the rubbish that makes beaches unplesant and dangerous if not removed. About 1/3 is stuff that has gone overboard from boats. About 1/3 junk left over from barbeques which also contains a lot of dangerous material - bottles do not stay whole for long. The other 1/3 and also dangerous is abandoned fishing line complete with hooks.
Old 04-03-08, 23:11

Chris,really do understand your point here,but I guess that the POTW,is the actual shot,and not the content ,as such,if that makes sense.To say it is the quality of the shot,as opposed to what the shot actually depicts.This is why ,maybe with modern art etc,we have unmade beds,and pickled sheeps heads,which command large amounts of money,as opposed to paintings and sculptures as we used to see.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 04-03-08, 23:27

Personally I think the POTW shot in question was SO Last Year

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=40

No props required this was somebodies junk.

I take Chris's point about our countryside becoming littered with plastic and beer cans.

I must admit with a few of the POTW choices I have wondered what the novelty or appeal was. Yet another case of you can't please all the people all the time.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 04-03-08 at 23:31.
Old 05-03-08, 00:04
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
I take Chris's point about our countryside becoming littered with plastic and beer cans.
Actually it comes across to me that Chris' point is that pictures of one of his pet hates are not suitable subjects for POTW Come on - a good picture is a good picture irrespective of ones personal opinion of the subject portrayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
.... I hope that you took it away and recycled or binned it afterwards....
And then for him to suggest that the photographer should clear up someone else rubbish just because they have taken a picture of it
I'll have to be carefully that if I take a picture of a derelict building I don't become responsible for repairing it

We see so many landscape & wildlife shots that are 'nice' images, technically good, etc but how many are truly outstanding? I applaud the Mods for choosing some different, stimulating, thought provoking, images.
Old 05-03-08, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
it would be helpful if a proper critique was given so we folk can have a bit more understanding of why they picked each image.
agree maybe not a critique so much, but a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
I think it might help beginners if the moderators could give some pointers as to what helps make an outstanding shot.
Most definatley.. we can all learn something new. not every one knows everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb View Post
I post my images here because I think there are some very good technical photographers who frequent this forum and I'm wanting to improve my own photography.
what Derek said

Quote:
Personally it seems odd to me to post photos on a forum and expect only positive comment,
I agree, but is this always the case
Old 05-03-08, 01:26

Quote:
My outrage was not critique of the photograph as an abstract image nor of skill in its taking, but that something should be held up as exemplary which I find slightly disgraceful, though I hope Sharon that you took it away and recycled or binned it afterwards.
"the antidote to smart picnic tables - Aldeburgh" i hope Chris you organised this to be shifted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Personally I think the POTW shot in question was SO Last Year

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=40
dodgy plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
a good picture is a good picture irrespective of ones personal opinion of the subject portrayed.
thats it really - well said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post

And then for him to suggest that the photographer should clear up someone else rubbish just because they have taken a picture of it
I'll have to be carefully that if I take a picture of a derelict building I don't become responsible for repairing it
I think i'd clear it up any way, if id taken the shot - sensible really.

@ building remark. lol

I think the shot was an outstanding one that week, wherever the bottle ended up.. glass comes from sand does not it? and POTW has varied each week and is rather intresting. It will stay intresting too I'd say (until bird pics start getting placed constantly ) but feel, as said by others, a reason/comment on why potw is, potw!

but Chris, very virtuous of you, you stuck that neck out faaaar!
Old 05-03-08, 08:05

Oh dear...I almost feel guilty now for photographing someone elses rubbish..I can assure you that I put it in a bin afterwards so actually I did everybody a favour by taking the pic.....The bottle wasn't too bad but the cocktail thingys had evil points on them that I would have thought were far more dangerous that the bottle which seems to have been the main cause for concern..
Oh well...No pleasing all of the people, all of the time.
As for critisism then it must have been an oversight when I uploaded it originally..I usually invite critique..I think its helpful to know what others think of my pics..Although I must admit ,if I like it then thats what matters to me.
So...I do clear up after myself..I take pictures and leave only footprints .
Sharon
Old 05-03-08, 11:07
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Chris,really do understand your point here,but I guess that the POTW,is the actual shot,and not the content ,as such,if that makes sense.To say it is the quality of the shot,as opposed to what the shot actually depicts.This is why ,maybe with modern art etc,we have unmade beds,and pickled sheeps heads,which command large amounts of money,as opposed to paintings and sculptures as we used to see.
I have wondered about this myself Christine and Clive; for example, I have put comments of admiration on a number of Nigel Blake's recent shots of military planes despite the fact that I hate most things about military planes (spent too many of my first 4 years playing target). The trendy modern art is simply explained as fashion pushed hard by a ruthless marketing industry and I wouldn't cross the road to see it. There is much excellent art pushed out by it and never gets beyond provincial galleries; pity.

Pictures of derelict buildings, some good ones recently by you Jamie, are social comment, a traditional and valid function of art, and hopefully taking a good pic is something, but also all, one can do about them. Picking up potentially dangerous rubbish is something everyone can do something about easily, thank you for that Sharon. The stuff on Aldburgh beach is the remaining fishermen's work/rest area & am so pleased to see remains of industry in areas that have mostly been gentrified.

Getting back to where I started, I suspect that the popularity of these type of shots derives from amateurs wishing to associate themselves with a glamorous modern industy. You used to have to be paid to go round town advertising someones products, now most people seem only too happy to do it free, but sorry, get no thanks from me for doing so.

But I think its time for small hair on tail to stop trying to wag the dog (and wait with bated breath to see next weeks POTW).
Old 05-03-08, 11:14

Quote:
Picking up potentially dangerous ......
Not really a sellable sentence here

..viruses?
..injuries?
..infections?

i sense you could create a new company......

roll tv ad.

"have you been affected by voluntarily beach combing? call Morton finance..."