WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Sigma EF-530 ST DG HELP!!!

Old 07-06-09, 15:45

Default Sigma EF-530 ST DG HELP!!!

Any views on this flash?... I really need a good gun for my D200... and the Nikon's are just way too out of my price range and I have read I could use this with my D200... can anyone advise me further please : D

Huge thanks - Jim
Old 07-06-09, 16:39

No experience of that one Jim, so I am relying on Sigma UK info.

" NA-iTTL Nikon ELECTRONIC FLASH EF-530 DG ST
It is compatible with new i-TTL system ( your D200 ). TTL Auto varies depending on the lenses in use, but it works on all cameras. It is possible to use Manual Flash as well. Available with cameras providing Red-eye reduction control only. Manual flash mode with two levels: Full power and 1/16 power. Auto Power-Off function shuts off 80sec. after use. "

It really depend on what you want now, and thinking towards the future what you might want. Manual operation having only full or 1/16 power is something to think about, as in my mind it is crippled in that department.

Perhaps you should be looking for a used SB-600. What sort of budget are you considering.

Don
Old 07-06-09, 16:44

Thanks for all the info Don : )

I relatively new to flash but growing increasingly aware that it's a important skill to master... so your advice is really vital and appreciated... budget... as cheap as I can find anything!!!

Huge thanks,

Jim
Old 07-06-09, 16:59

Jim,

Once you start playing with flash two things will become important to you.

1) Ability to operate the main flash off the camera. For that you will be looking at a remote lead like a used SC-17 or SC-28.
2) At least 4 manual flash settings, but the more the merrier.

I have the SB-600 manual somewhere on my machine so I will look at that to see what it offers.

Anything METZ gets my vote as its a second to a camera brand job. So I will search the Metz site.

Some sort of £££ would be seriously helpful in searching the used market. One thing you need to be aware of in the used market is TRIGGER VOLTAGE. Some of the older kit will crucify the electronics in your camera.

Don
Old 07-06-09, 17:15

Jim,

A quick check on the SB-600 shows in manual mode the choices are :-
1/1 full power, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 with - 1/3 power increments for each of those from 1/2 to 1/32.

So the Sigma has a choice of two manual settings, and the SB-600 a total of 17 settings.

Don
Old 07-06-09, 17:33

Jim, I used to have the EF-500 DG ST model, which is the slightly earlier model. It is identical except for it having slightly lower power Guide Number 50 instead of the 530's Guide Number 53.

The problem with the ST models is the lack of manual power level adjustments. As Don has said in post #2, the only manual power adjustments are full power or 1/16th power. I used to find full power often too much, and 1/16th power too little. You can work around the issue in a variety of different ways, especially if you use the flash off-camera. But, and it's a big BUT, knowing the kind of social documentary work you do, I don't think this is the gun for you; it simply hasn't got the manual adjustability you'll need.

You can use it on-camera and use the flash compensation feature in your camera's settings, this will give the flexibility you need, but I think you'll soon get frustrated with this flash. It's cheap and cheerful, with limited settings. A good gun for a beginner to get them going into the world of flash, but in reality, you'll soon grow out of it. The build quality is nothing to write home about either - adequate, but doesn't inspire confidence.

Options to look at would be the Sigma EF-530 DG Super, a bit more cash at £200 instead of the ST at £120, but has a lot more extra features. My recommendation would be the Metz 48AF-1 at £175. I have the 58AF-1 and can highly, highly recommend that, but accept that it's probably beyond your budget. The 48 is the lower power version, has all the adjustability of the 58 (full power to 1/256th power in lots of very small increments) and doesn't have the secondary fill-in lamp of the 58, otherwise has all the features you need.

Get the Metz 48, the extra £55 over the cheap Sigma is money well spent. You'd get frustrated by the cheap Sigma very quickly.

Duncan
Old 07-06-09, 17:38

Another option would be the Nissin:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1026074

Have no experience of this, but it looks a good spec for the money, and has 6 levels of manual power adjustment.
Old 07-06-09, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
........Options to look at would be the Sigma EF-530 DG Super, a bit more cash at £200 instead of the ST at £120, but has a lot more extra features. My recommendation would be the Metz 48AF-1 at £175. ........................

Get the Metz 48, the extra £55 over the cheap Sigma is money well spent. You'd get frustrated by the cheap Sigma very quickly.

Duncan
Just got off the Metz site Duncan, and you beat me to it.

Don
Old 07-06-09, 23:28

So many thanks for all the help - its exactly why I joined this site - to learn from my betters!!! Hmmm lot for me to think about... and I'd never heard of Metz before!?

Don, Gabby (Dad) says hello... hope to be able to make it out and over to you soon mate!... oh, and Dad just picked up a Yashica Dental Eye camera 2... must get him to show you... fixed lens with a built in ring flash... really neat camera : )

Many thanks again,

Jim
Old 07-06-09, 23:30

Oh and Don... this one Mecablitz 58 AF-1 digital does look worth saving for!!! - off to Ebay now hehe