WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Shooting Film with a vintage Kodak

Old 05-02-11, 13:33

Default Shooting Film with a vintage Kodak

Hi,

I picked up an old Kodak Retinette 1B camera, and stuck a roll of Kodak Colourplus 200 film in it.

I haven't a clue how to use it, all the adjustments are on various rings on the lens...very interesting!

My question...is it worth the bother of having the film sent off for developing, or will a quick develop and print at a supermarket be ok just to see what happens?
Do they do anything different when developing film in the "proper" labs, or is it much the same?

It's only fun, so I'm not that bothered, just wondering.
Old 06-02-11, 17:23

Try the supermarket. Usually the prints they get you are perfectly acceptable (standard does vary however, you get both extremes of the scale in terms of quality).

They both use the same machines, which develop the film, scan it and print it via inkjet. The difference is in the manipulation of the scanned image, which at the pro lab may be more skilled. However, both of them may be doing things that you don't agree with. Usually they tend to saturate a lot, customers like that. Whether you like it is another matter.

For the quickness and convenience however, stick with the supermarket. For more important films perhaps send it off to a lab.

Shooting film with old manual cameras taught me photography (and continues to teach me a lot more now that I've moved on to monochrome).
Old 06-02-11, 17:32

Thanks, Alex. Yes, I think I'm going to just get it processed. Then I have a friend with a good negative scanner, so I'll scan them there to see how they go.

If all is well, I will maybe shoot more film. I have to decide on everything with the Aperture, Speed, etc. from the ground up...it's making me think a lot more...

Cheers
Old 06-02-11, 17:57

The thing with the supermarket is that they will give you a full set of prints for a negligible extra cost, which makes it well worth. That way, if you happen to get a good photo, you just pop it straight into a picture frame.
Old 06-02-11, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
The thing with the supermarket is that they will give you a full set of prints for a negligible extra cost, which makes it well worth. That way, if you happen to get a good photo, you just pop it straight into a picture frame.
True. Have a set of prints, and the negatives for scanning and into PS if necessary.

Cheers
Old 11-02-11, 12:49

Have you thought about developing your own film? developing black and white only requires a few pieces of equipment, small developing tank, dark bag, always lots on e bay, everything else required you can make do and mend with household items. Lots of tutorials on You Tube to learn process. Its easy enough to learn and most fun I've had with my clothes on for years.
Old 11-02-11, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwphil View Post
Have you thought about developing your own film? developing black and white only requires a few pieces of equipment, small developing tank, dark bag, always lots on e bay, everything else required you can make do and mend with household items. Lots of tutorials on You Tube to learn process. Its easy enough to learn and most fun I've had with my clothes on for years.
Well, I'll see how I get on with this roll, first.

I have a good friend who's been doing photography for many manyyears...he would probably shpow me the ropes...bet he's still got all the kit, too.

Sounds like fun...It might get my 5 year old daughter's interest, too...she likes things like that.
Old 11-02-11, 20:47

It can take a lot of time up, I used to do my own b/w years ago, that’s were my user name came from, if you get the chance to see how its done give it some time.

Australian Bug Life
http://www.lifeunseen.com/

Jim
Old 11-02-11, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
It can take a lot of time up, I used to do my own b/w years ago, that’s were my user name came from, if you get the chance to see how its done give it some time.
Sure will...I am interested. But I have "expense" issues with my hobby at the moment...at least with digital I have everything already. For other ventures, I have to start spending again which is not a real option at the moment.
But I will surely have a go, possibly with my friend with the know how.
Old 11-02-11, 21:02

If you did do your own B&W (I do it as well, great fun. If you can find a darkroom in your local area you can also do your own optical prints, which is hugely satisfying). The startup cost may around £100 if you buy all the kit and chemicals new, but all of them bar developer will last for ages and developer is very cheap anyway. A more upmarket camera would also make a difference. I must say I find the entire process great fun and very rewarding when you get it all right.