WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > Discussion on Photo of the Week

What has happened...

Old 26-05-12, 02:48
Super Moderator

Default What has happened...

... to picture of the week
Old 26-05-12, 09:14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
... to picture of the week
After discussion on the other thread about the issues with the POTW being the photo with the most comments, so we have been trying to come up with a better system. In the short term we decided to return to mods choice, then due to computer issues I have only been able to access WPF via my phone so haven't been able to post it. It is sorted now so POTW should return next week and we'll endeavour to come up with a better system. (please feel fre to suggest new ways of selecting the POTW).
Old 26-05-12, 10:40
Super Moderator

The last I saw on the subject was in January in the New Format sticky when I thought most people were in agreement that the new proposal was a good idea, esp if it made life easier for you & Christine ... have I missed something?
Old 26-05-12, 11:49
Super Moderator

it came up again in this thread - http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=7090 I agree with other posters in that thread that deciding it based on number of comments favours popular members and makes it less likely that new members will win even if the photo deserves it.
Old 01-06-12, 12:14

It occurred to me that perhaps you could run two types of competition. News members photos of the week and then a separate one. The new members could be those that joined within a set time like 2-3 months. This would be a great way to encourage and keep the new members. Its a lovely forum and it would be a massive shame to keep losing the new members that pop in. Why do we all join in the first place, to find like minded people to share experiences and photos with, to feel part of what you are interested in, to learn and to get ideas for your growing passion that is photography.

With the existing POTW you could always make it that when someone has won, they cannot enter the next two or something, that way you keep it fresh and the same person cant win every time. I like Mo very much, he is a lovely chap but to see him win three photos of the week with ultimately the same type of shot was really boring. When you see the quality of the people on here and the wonderful images that are submitted I'm always surprised to see what wins. The popularity thing has to go.

Perhaps another idea is to have a weekly theme and get people to go and take a picture to submit. It will challenge people to be more creative, to be competitive and would ensure that each week is fresh and exciting. This then if you didn't want to run two POTW would put everyone on an even keel and each picture could be judged not just for best picture but for the creativity and effort put in also. This would also help those stay even with photographers with better cameras.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-06-12, 18:21

Two POTW would make more work for the Mods if they are still choosing the winner. However may help to keep new members interested in coming back.
Don't mind the idea of not winning next two. Not keen on but would be ok with it.
Agree "popularity thing has to go." Must be on the photograph not the photographer.
A weekly theme? We have a fortnightly comp but ok. "judged not just for best picture but for the creativity and effort put in also." Like the idea but not sure how it would work. If photo "A" is better pic and photo "B" more creative and "C" has more effort. How do you decide?
Sorry to say. The fortnightly comp and "fancy a go" get little support entering or voting. Makes me wonder how much, more or new comps would be supported. Think most members just want to post photos in the gallery and not join in. Rant for the day.
Old 08-06-12, 11:44

I agree Arthur, I don't know why people want to post pictures in the gallery and that's it. I guess if you look a little deeper, people do it so that they get nice feedback. I guess its what we all crave really but many don't get much feedback at all except those popular members which we discussed previously.

I often go on Bird Forum and its frankly a rubbish, out of date site that is just so popular. Its not that its just birds, there is so many photos on there its frankly mad that we don't diversify a little more here. Lets open the gallery up to more diverse niches. Lets encompass as much as we can, after all that's what photography is all about.
Old 20-06-12, 15:43

Guys is it not better to keep this running until you can find a way to make it better? With such mixed weather, we are missing some great shots....
Old 20-06-12, 18:17

it's a shame it's not running, I know the few times I was awarded photo of the week, it really lifted my spirits and prompted me to get out there.
Old 28-07-12, 12:07

sorry to see there is still no POTW happening.... I would also like to see photo of the month then photo of the year out of the 12 monthly winners... (for next year)
what do you all think about that one?

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams