WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > Discussion on Photo of the Week

POTW general discussion thread.

Old 08-07-16, 23:02

all this proves is the best photo ( night scene) was picked for POTW.
and the rest have different opinions,
I would choose the 4knights 2nd because living in Australia I don't see that sort of thing, but I wouldn't be able to give critique on how to make it a better shot.

I forgot about the critique section,but that is the perfect place if you or anyone else would like feedback on your images.

I remember giving a suggestion once on a photo and I was promptly put in my place,so I never give suggestions on how to make something better because it is all personal taste.
some people do get offended by it,I am always grateful for other peoples opinions and that is why I tick the box for welcomed critique in the gallery.

I feel the same as Rob,I don't post to get into POTW gallery,but it is nice to get a mention now and then... I think most people posting here are just social and sharing what they have been doing...
I will still be choosing my POTW the same way, by going through EVERY photo for that week,choosing the ones that jump out at me then choosing the one I like best from that group. for me that is what POTW is all about the best photo for that week.

I have always stated that I am not qualified to judge or critique images,because I have no idea on the technical stuff, I just know what I like and have a hard time saying why I like or don't like something! it just jumps out at me and that is why I choose POTW.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 09-07-16, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Often conditions on the day don't allow you to get the type of shot you want and you end up with the best you get under the circumstances. The response to my images can be quite varied. Some produce no reaction and others just amaze me. These days I just post a few examples of the days work that did not make it to trash can.

I think Dave is working on the premiss that all those who post images in the gallery are hoping to gain the status of POTW. It's never been my motivation. I don't take myself that seriously. It's a hobby I enjoy and like to share with like minded people.

Yes it's nice to get a pat on the back or mentioned in dispatches if your image was enjoyed and produced a good reaction.

Our experience has been ( especially in the critique section which rarely gets used these days ) most feel their work is good or OK and don't take too kindly to suggestions to improve. So unless somebody provides a bad example of their work and says I know it's bad but how can I improve. Only then is help and suggestions forth coming. Otherwise we tend to stay clear of such troubled waters. Yes it is well exposed, in focus and sharp but the subject and composition is nondescript and you would not look at the image once let alone twice. Some people are perfectly happy to churn out images that should never escape from the photo album
You are very right on the conditions and like you the ones that I do post are often the three, four, five, or six that make the cut out of a couple hundred and usually a lot more that I have shot during the day.

I think Dave is working on the premiss that all those who post images in the gallery are hoping to gain the status of POTW. It's never been my motivation. I don't take myself that seriously. It's a hobby I enjoy and like to share with like minded people.

I am always working on the premise that I want to improve what I am doing and what can be done and maybe I'm wrong in assuming that others are like that also. For me I am working on something that in 5 to 10 years from now I can turn into something that will help pay the bills when it comes to a time that I can no longer perform my trade. Which I know is coming. I guess I am wrong for looking at it that way because I have to say this hobby and the relaxation I get from it has allowed me to alleviate 75 percent of the stress in my life. It is something that I can sit down and loose myself in for a few hours.

When it comes to the opinions of the members of this board I listen when they make suggestions about how I can improve a shot. There are sites out there that are stuffy when it comes to new photographers and how they do stuff.

I have always said it here and will continue to always say it I am open to CC. And that said I will thank everybody for their in put and their comments and sit back and take it all in. If nobody objects I will tell people why I chose their photo as the POTW and I will give a small pointer or two to those that came in a close second on my short list. I am sorry if I ruffled any feathers that was not my intention.

Dave

ON SMUGMUG

https://dwb-photography.smugmug.com/
Old 10-07-16, 09:57
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave598 View Post
If nobody objects I will tell people why I chose their photo as the POTW and I will give a small pointer or two to those that came in a close second on my short list.
I think that's great Dave, just bear I'm mind that, as robski says, not everyone welcomes unsolicited feedback so I would restrict your improvement pointers to images where the author indicated critique welcome when posting in their gallery
Old 10-07-16, 12:28

Thank you Clive I will do that.

Dave

ON SMUGMUG

https://dwb-photography.smugmug.com/