WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Advice on a new computer

Old 26-06-07, 10:42

Default Advice on a new computer

I think I need a new computer - the family PC (2003 vintage) is getting clogged with all sorts of rubbish (I think that's the kid's games, but they would say the same about my photos!), and is running ever slower, and the files I am working on are getting ever bigger.
I was considering a laptop, so as to be able to do some photo-editing etc on the move, but need something that will work with 95mb 16bit TIFF files in Lightroom and Photoshop, handle 4Gb downloads of RAW files etc. Ideally I would also like the ability to run a second screen for photo-editing at home, and also burn dvds for back-up on the move. My existing peripherals are mostly USB.
Everything has changed since I last researched computer specs, so any advice on spec and brands to consider/avoid would be welcome!

Last edited by gordon g; 26-06-07 at 10:47. Reason: typo!
Old 26-06-07, 21:09

This was my position until a few weeks ago. An aging windows machine from 2003-ish. I also needed to look at 12Mpx RAW images which took my machine minutes to convert to TIFF even with minor edits. Managing and being patient I finally broke!

Take a look at Apple Mac's which are all exceptionally quick. I have a Mac Pro with Quad Xeon cores which converts the same RAW files in less than 10s and also a Macbook with dual core CPU which is not too far behind the Mac pro in speed. Mac OS X is fairly easy to learn after Windows then there is no looking back!

Want speed and no fuss - buy a Mac!
Old 26-06-07, 21:31
Chris

Pleased to see Steven still pleased with macs. To add my pennyworth my mac Powerbook nearing 6 years old (and the classic portable case still in use) is still going strong and no prob downloading upto 200 x 7MB RAW files. In PS(E4) multi-layer files soon blow up to 50-60MB, but then I use DPP and only go to PS as host for NeatImage or FocusMagic final tweak.

But if you come up with a PC as slim and functional, do let us know.
Old 26-06-07, 22:27

What is the current spec?

There are many reasons why a PC can run slowly. You might have a nearly full disk, a badly fragmented disk, not enough RAM and maybe other reasons.

Or just too slow a CPU, motherboard and disk!!!!
Old 27-06-07, 17:13

It would help if you could give us an idea of your budget too. Stephen's Mac may be wonderfully quick, but you may need to be sitting down when you hear the price.
Old 27-06-07, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
...but need something that will work with 95mb 16bit TIFF files in Lightroom and Photoshop, handle 4Gb downloads of RAW files etc...
With files that size you must be using a 1Ds.
If your thinking about a Mac visit the Apple store in MeadowHELL (when it reopens), the staff there are very helpful.
Old 27-06-07, 21:43

Ok - the spec, bearing in mind I'm not very computer literate. Athlon XP 2200+, 1Gb RAM, 40Gb hard drive about 3/4 full (recently defragmented) - I use about 5-10Gb of this for projects in hand, but any longer term storage is off-site in a stand-alone 250Gb hard drive.
I guess the relatively full hard drive wont be helping, but I'm not sure what I can shift (I want to keep the stand-alone drive for photo storage as much as possible).
I run XP Home currently, and would upgrade to XP pro sp2 rather than vista for preference, at least until vista has been running for a while. Although there's lots to be said for macs, I'm not sure that would suit me, as I would like to network with the existing computer at times, and share the stand-alone drive.
Until recently my old machine was fine, but since swapping from a canon 1V with scanned negs (which was slow anyway, and I was probably more selective in the images I worked on!) to a 1DsII (nearly right John) I find the work volume has greatly increased.
Budget? - I want a machine that will remain adequate for some years, so I guess I need to buy at the upper end of the spec range currently available to have 'spare capacity' for the future. Say around £750, with another £250 for a good monitor if I go down the 2 screen route.
Having read Stephen's thread it would seem I need a much bigger disc, about 2Gb RAM, dual core, but I could do with more detailed advice before I shell out the cash!
Old 27-06-07, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
Want speed and no fuss - buy a Mac!

Want to download freebee progs get a pc.

I don't consider my pc a slouch but then Foxy has used it so he knows how it compares to his shiny new toy.

Don
Old 27-06-07, 23:20

PC or Mac I got one of these yesterday and pretty impressed http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ce=14&doy=27m6

Don
Old 27-06-07, 23:59

I guess it does depend on how much clutter you aquire. A quick look and in imaging programs alone I have :
PSP7, PSP8, Nikon View, Nikon NC4.4, NX, and Capture Contol, CS2, Rawshooter, Fastone, Iris Space Imaging, Deep Sky Stacker, Registax, Combine ZM and then add Opanda and Image extractor. And for a couple of days I also had Canon DPP and Canon Zoombrowser for training purposes.

Don