WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

New PC advice, what would I need?

Old 08-04-10, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hallas View Post
Beware the 4Gb of memory. Sounds good but unless you are using 64 bit Windows (I am assuming you are using Windows as most people do) then it will not recognise memory above 3Gb.
Any 32bit operating system can only go up to 3.5GB

I've got 32bit XP Pro and Windows can only see 3.5GB even though I've got 4GB installed.

Currently saving up to buy Windows 7 64bit.

As for a machine make sure you get a decent core speed. If using something like Photoshop or GIMP to process large images (as in width/height and file size) it quickly gets frustrating having to wait for your PC to process one command before you can do anything else.

For example, applying a filter over a photo and every time you move a slider to tweak the desired effect having to wait until the computer has finished processing each tweak. Not fun.