WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

"bean" Bags

Old 12-02-06, 16:05

Default "bean" Bags

Anybody made any? Do you have any tips on materials used or sources for the fillings etc.I have seen some for sale on WHE, but these seem very overpriced.
Regards Subzero.
Old 12-02-06, 21:53

I purchased a double bean bag from Wildife Watching supplies,which I use to balance my scope when digiscoping(using a single one)also use a single one to rest on a ledge etc.I think they are very easy to make using rice or dried beans.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 13-02-06, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
I purchased a double bean bag from Wildife Watching supplies,which I use to balance my scope when digiscoping(using a single one)also use a single one to rest on a ledge etc.I think they are very easy to make using rice or dried beans.
A second vote for WWS, but buy direct rather than via WE, or you'll pay extra. The WWS ones are made like 2 small pillow cases. The inner one takes the rice or whatever, and I think it has a velcro seal. The outer one just slips on, and hence can be washed if need be. Any competent stitcher could make one in seconds.

Leif
Old 13-02-06, 10:10
Admin

Has anyone tried vermiculite as a filler? this should be quite good as it has excellent vibration damping properties.
I have a WWS pre-filled single, mainly used to lay on top of the lens to counter mirror bounce.

cheers,
Andy
Old 13-02-06, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Has anyone tried vermiculite as a filler? this should be quite good as it has excellent vibration damping properties.
I have a WWS pre-filled single, mainly used to lay on top of the lens to counter mirror bounce.

cheers,
Andy
Or Perlite for better drainage? I don't care as long as you don't use peat.

Actually that's a good idea, though would it not degrade into powder over a year or two of use, and is it not a bit springy?

Leif
Old 13-02-06, 19:41

Many Thanks,
Christine,Leif and Andy for your replies.

I have looked at WWS and there are many other things of interest,which I will look into, but as for bean bags you must be able to make them much cheaper than that.
For Christine ,
you say you use a bean bag to stabilize you digiscoping rig, why?

For Andy Bright,
I see from your site www.digiscoped.com (that's a plug for you! not that you need one) that you have a small bean bag ontop of your 500/600 lens, are you using this instead of, or as well as your hand to dampen/stabilize the lens?
Not to sure about vermiculite as I believe it is used by gardeners to "store" moisture and is also used in hydroponics?
regards Subzero.
Old 13-02-06, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero
Not to sure about vermiculite as I believe it is used by gardeners to "store" moisture and is also used in hydroponics?
regards Subzero.
It is indeed used to retain moisture, due I think to the large surface area, and lots of little crevices. But you could always put it inside a resealable plastic sandwich bag and then put that in the bean bag.

Leif
Old 13-02-06, 22:28

Quote:
Many Thanks,
Christine,Leif and Andy for your replies.

I have looked at WWS and there are many other things of interest,which I will look into, but as for bean bags you must be able to make them much cheaper than that.
For Christine ,
you say you use a bean bag to stabilize you digiscoping rig, why?

For Andy Bright,
I see from your site www.digiscoped.com (that's a plug for you! not that you need one) that you have a small bean bag ontop of your 500/600 lens, are you using this instead of, or as well as your hand to dampen/stabilize the lens?
regards Subzero.

Putting a bean bag on the scope helps to keep it steady,as there is a camera attached to the scope eyepiece ,and it tends to tip up as it were.Also as Andy has mentioned I do often put a beanbag onto the lens if it is being used with a tripod,just helps to stabilise,esp if it is a little breezy.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 13-02-06, 22:44
Admin

Quote:

For Andy Bright,
I see from your site that you have a small bean bag ontop of your 500/600 lens, are you using this instead of, or as well as your hand to dampen/stabilize the lens?
Yes, I have a 1.5kg bean bag atop the lens... but usually when I'm struggling for a reasonable shutter-speed.

On its own, the bean bag helps subdue a bit of mirror bounce but it is even better with a steadying hand placed upon the beanbag. This is all for 850mm or so (no I.S.) at lowish shutter speeds, so it's probably over the top for many.

cheers,
Andy
Old 14-02-06, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Yes, I have a 1.5kg bean bag atop the lens... but usually when I'm struggling for a reasonable shutter-speed.

On its own, the bean bag helps subdue a bit of mirror bounce but it is even better with a steadying hand placed upon the beanbag. This is all for 850mm or so (no I.S.) at lowish shutter speeds, so it's probably over the top for many.

cheers,
Andy
Andy i am one up on you'll-i use my Turban to stablise my T.D.1(havent changed it since 1990's and weighs about 7kgs i think and at the same time allows me to feel the breeze on my central bold area. -need a crying ,laughing smiley.(ah)who needs a bean bag.