WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Essential accessories.

Old 18-02-06, 20:43

Default Essential accessories.

So i have an extra £100.00 burning a whole in my pocket.

I have a zoom lens, a macro lens, a P series Cokin filter with grey ND filter, and sunset filter, various sized compact flash cards inc a 1GB, and a tripod.

What else should be on my essential list, or wish list?

Sugestions please...polite ones only, thanks

Nogbad
Old 18-02-06, 20:53
Super Moderator

You have just enough to get yourself portable storage X'S Drive2XL VP2260 from http://www.warehouseexpress.com/
this is the drive I have and it works brilliantly.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 19-02-06, 15:54

Thanks Christine i had'nt thought of that. Something certainly to consider.

Nogbad

P.s viewed some of your images on the Bird forum. Really enjoyed them especially the Bullfinches.
Old 19-02-06, 21:29

Put your money back in your pocket and wait until you have enough money to buy a really good lens would be my suggestion. Just what this lens is is very dependent on what you want to do with it and the subject of a whole new thread.
Old 19-02-06, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft
Put your money back in your pocket and wait until you have enough money to buy a really good lens would be my suggestion.
I second that. The fact you are asking for suggestions indicates you currently don't have any real need for anything. The problem with many gadgets is they seem a good idea at the time but never get used.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 20-02-06, 17:52

I think I will save it. Whilst the storage sounds great I wont need anything like that till the summer when i'm away for nearly 3 weeks.

The lens sounds a good idea.

I dont think I really need anything at the moment as I'm sure you guys would have let me know if there was something vital i was missing.

Nogbad
Old 20-02-06, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad
I think I will save it. Whilst the storage sounds great I wont need anything like that till the summer when i'm away for nearly 3 weeks.

I dont think I really need anything at the moment as I'm sure you guys would have let me know if there was something vital i was missing.

Nogbad
Errr, what do you photograph?

The little gadgets I use all the time include reflectors (home made), diffusers, right angle finder (Nikon, £24 on ebay), GPS receiver (to record the location of botanical collections, handheld PC (to store the GPS position and collection notes), bean bag, Novoflex mini-tripod, and a spirit level for camera flash shoe. Oh and goodness knows how many OS maps. And guide/identification books. I will soon be buying a Nikon ES-1 for copying slides with my DSLR but I am having trouble finding one.

I agree with others. Don't buy just to keep a shopkeeper in sherbet.

Leif
Old 20-02-06, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad

Nogbad
Three weeks sounds nice, am I being too inquisitive by asking where are you going? If it is somewhere that will be dry and dusty, maybe you could use some of your £100 to obtain a sensor cleaning kit (assuming you do not already have one!)

Roger
Old 20-02-06, 19:39

Leif, I photograph Landscapes, and Insects mainly, some bird life but am not very good with those. Am getting into plants more, they are quite interesting.

Like you I have bean bags etc so not sure I really need much more.

Roger, am not going anywhere exotic. Mid wales with my wife. We love the area around the Elan valley and never get tired of looking for Red Kites, Peregrines and other birds. We are very Keen walkers and as we are camping space is a premium. We do have a hook up so charging batteries aint a problem.

Nogbad
Old 20-02-06, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerscoth
Three weeks sounds nice, am I being too inquisitive by asking where are you going? If it is somewhere that will be dry and dusty, maybe you could use some of your £100 to obtain a sensor cleaning kit (assuming you do not already have one!)

Roger
For sensor cleaning, I would recommend using a Nylon brush:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...ur_Sensor.html

Apparently decent ones are available on ebay. Mine came from an art shop and required a lot of cleaning.

Leif