WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Head for 500 f/4

Old 24-02-06, 17:44

Manfrotto 393 description here:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2430
And a bigger picture here:
http://www.manfrotto.com/webdav/site...s/zoom/393.jpg
Old 24-02-06, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin
Sorry for the really basic question, but what's the deal with fluid heads and long lenses? Currently I have a Manfrotto 501 fluid head on a Manfrotto 055 NAT III tripod. The tripod is OK, not great just OK, but I'll replace it with a carbon one before too long. I bought the 501 head for digiscoping, but these days I'm using 20Ds, a 100-400, and thte 500 f/4 arrived 20 minutes ago. (Joy!)
Congrats - you are going to love your new lens! I got a gimbal type head at the same time as my 500 f4 - it makes life so much easier than a fluid pan and tilt, it is really as amazing as everyone says! I did try to continue with my 055 tripod, but soon gave up and got a Gitso 1325 tripod which is more rigid than but similar in weight to the 055.

Although the cost of the Wimberley and Gitso was wallet breaking, I decided that having spent on a 500 f4, not giving it good support was daft!

Cheers Mark.
Old 24-02-06, 18:46

Tannin as you say stick with what you have but, If you get the chance to use your gear on a Gimbal type head take it.

The only problem then is that you will want one. The difference is amazing everything rock solid and at the same time instantly moveable, no locking or tightening up of screws.

Yes ok I know they cost, but after having used one I think you will find it worth it.

If you don't fancy the cost then please don't try one.

Pete
Old 24-02-06, 20:46

Exclamation

Thanks guys.

Tripod first. There is nothing wrong with my 055, nirofo, it's just that it's a bit on the flimsy size. I've had two of them, this is the Mk III but I had a Mk 1 before that, which was the same. I might have to make a trip to Melbourne and see if I can have an in-person look at some of this gear. It's only a couple of hours drive away but it's a city of 3-4 million people and I despise cities, never, ever go there if I have a choice.

And cost? After the 500mm Canon, I think I've stopped caring about the cost of things.