WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

AF-S IF ED 28-70mm f2.8 Nikkor normal zoom

Old 16-08-06, 15:08

Default AF-S IF ED 28-70mm f2.8 Nikkor normal zoom

After owning the AF-S IF ED 28-70 f2.8 I feel I am in a position to write a fair review.

The lens is rather large and heavy and is housed in a plastic body which I am not too keen on my main interest is image quality and use. To give an idea of size it similar in length and width to the 80-400VR without being extended at the 80mm end, its known in some circles as the ‘Beast’. Weight is not really an issue as it balanced nicely on a D2X. Supplied with the lens is a round hard case which seems to be fairly air tight and ideal for storage with a silica gel pack.

The lens was purchased to photograph my little boy and record his development and 28-70 allows more creative perspectives than my trusted 50 1.8 (nifty fifty)

Unfortunately although the lens is a constant f2.8 it cannot be used with AF-S teleconverters due to the design of the exit pupil. Apparently teleconverters can collide with the rear of thel lens causing damage so I have not attached any teleconverters to my copy.

Portrait work demands shallow depth and f2.8 provides this but at any focal length the lens is soft at f2.8 – although usable when resized and mild USM applied. Stopped down to f4 the lens is sharp, real sharp and remains sharp until f13 beyond this I have no experience. The level of sharpness provided with this lens is similar to all Nikons finest and deserves the high price tag.

Colours seem a slightly flat when compared with the nifty fifty but can be easily adjusted to taste in post processing – this is an observation not a problem. There is no trace of CA as you would expect of any pro-Nikkor even at the widest 28mm end.

Focus is extremely fast, accurate and quiet even in lowlight situations such as churches. Snapping into focus in milliseconds thanks AF-S silent wave motor.

Bokeh (out of focus region) is smooth and pleasing owed to its nine-bladed diaphragm design.

More recently I have been experimenting with weddings and the ‘beast’ has become the preferred lens for this activity.

For wedding photography taken with this lens visit www.xeneo.co.uk

For anyone who wishes to take sharp high quality images in the normal focal length category, this lens is highly recommended and worth the high price tag, although its not uncommon to find used specimens for anyone with a budget.

In Summary
This versatile large lens is similar in style to the older pro Nikkors, it’s a little soft at f2.8 but is exceptionally sharp from f4 with good bokeh. Focus is extremely fast, quiet and accurate. Provided is a great hard case for storage. Highly recommended.
Old 16-08-06, 19:41

To show how sharp this lens is at f4 I found a test photo of our cat when looking for a subject to edit for another thread. The image is directly from RAW viewer with absolutely no added sharpness apart from 'Normal' as set within camera menu.

Image 1 100% crop showing NX dialogue box with lens data.
Image 2 full screen of above resized for viewing here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f4sharp.jpg (159.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg f4sharpfull.jpg (159.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 17-08-06, 19:19

Congrats, on obtaining a very highly regarded quality lens.It should prove useful for interiors of planes (cockpits etc), look forward to seeing some serious images with it.
regards Subzero.
Old 17-08-06, 19:26

Thanks Subzero, below is a small selection of images taken with the lens. I have been using it since March/April.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=101

Old 17-08-06, 19:35

Stephen,
Very good images especially the last (close up of your lad ) the quality is outstanding, amazing sharpness and skin tone, very, very good.
regards Subzero.