WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Is it possible to re-size RAW files??

Old 24-12-09, 13:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
You can always save it as a TIFF and send It and then get your friend to open it in bridge and then use the command to open in RAW as if the Image was taken In RAW then it will maintain the RAW data and also be a big enough file to work with.
Hope that was of help.

Just realized its an old post . But I'm sure it'll come in handy for you or someone else.
not sure how this would help as surely a TIFF would be a much larger file than a RAW?
Old 24-12-09, 14:27
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
not sure how this would help as surely a TIFF would be a much larger file than a RAW?
Sorry, my fault, I forgot to mention that It can be saved as a TIFF or JPEG and reduce the size and still maintain a good size and RAW data to work with. As you don't need a massive file for a tutorial.

Also If the full size does matter, then i believe Googlemail Is good at handling large files.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 24-12-09 at 16:22. Reason: Googlemail
Old 24-12-09, 20:16

Quote:
You can always save it as a TIFF and send It and then get your friend to open it in bridge and then use the command to open in RAW as if the Image was taken In RAW then it will maintain the RAW data and also be a big enough file to work with.
Hope that was of help.

Just realized its an old post . But I'm sure it'll come in handy for you or someone else.
The TIFF file will be larger than the RAW I reckon (if uncompressed) so the OP will be back to square one.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 24-12-09, 20:55
The Wanderer

Did you read the bit after that quote?
Then it can be saved as a JPEG and still retain the RAW data? That's why i gave the two options. The two options are for the fact that some people can send larger files than others
Try It out its a good thing to know.
Happy Christmas by the way.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 24-12-09 at 21:03.
Old 24-12-09, 21:49

This thread has completely lost me - the OP wanted to reduce the size of a RAW file because it was too large to email. He clearly wanted to send someone the RAW file (not a TIFF or jpeg). How the heck converting the RAW to a Tiff which will be a lot bigger file size can help I do not know. Then you suggest converting the TIFF to a jpeg I am sure the OP could have mailed a jpeg in the first place if he had wanted that.

Maybe I am missing something here but I am completely bewildered - time to kick this thread into touch I think.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 24-12-09, 22:08
The Wanderer

Roy,
Read what it says properly. He wanted to send a RAW file so he/she could use the RAW settings in a tutorial.
What i have suggested is that if he is struggling to send a full size file then he can convert to JPEG and that can be opened in RAW via BRIDGE with the RAW settings in tact. Sending as a RAW or JPEG (as it was originally shot in RAW and retains the RAW data) is not a problem as it is just needed with the RAW data and can be opened In RAW. This technique is nothing what so ever to do with shooting in JPEG as a true jpeg will not have the RAW data to begin with.
I think you should read what i said and corrected properly, then once you understand as you say "your a bit lost", and have tried it then you might see what i am on about.
The TIFF as i said was for anyone who can send larger files, the JPEG is for the ones who cannot.
But remember the KEY POINT that a converted RAW file to a JPEG has nothing to do with shooting AS A JPEG.
HTH you.

P.S I'll do a tutorial if you like to help you out if you cannot grasp it, as soon as i get some time.

Cheers

TW

Last edited by The Wanderer; 24-12-09 at 22:18.
Old 24-12-09, 22:40

Quote:
Roy,
Read what it says properly. He wanted to send a RAW file so he/she could use the RAW settings in a tutorial.
What i have suggested is that if he is struggling to send a full size file then he can convert to JPEG and that can be opened in RAW via BRIDGE with the RAW settings in tact. Sending as a RAW or JPEG (as it was originally shot in RAW and retains the RAW data) is not a problem as it is just needed with the RAW data and can be opened In RAW. This technique is nothing what so ever to do with shooting in JPEG as a true jpeg will not have the RAW data to begin with.
I think you should read what i said and corrected properly, then once you understand as you say "your a bit lost", and have tried it then you might see what i am on about.
The TIFF as i said was for anyone who can send larger files, the JPEG is for the ones who cannot.
But remember the KEY POINT that a converted RAW file to a JPEG has nothing to do with shooting AS A JPEG.
HTH you.

P.S I'll do a tutorial if you like to help you out if you cannot grasp it, as soon as i get some time.

Cheers

TW
On my version of CS4, when you open a jpeg in bridge you go straight into CS4 and not ACR. I have not got a clue what you are taking about when you say 'that can be opened in RAW via BRIDGE' Nor am I particularly interested.
When I made my post I was responding to a post that you made which suggesting that if the RAW file was too big then he could convert to a TIFF which made no sense whatsoever to me as the TIFF file would have been bigger.

Please forget the tutorial onj my account as I am not interested.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 24-12-09, 23:05
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
On my version of CS4, when you open a jpeg in bridge you go straight into CS4 and not ACR. I have not got a clue what you are taking about when you say 'that can be opened in RAW via BRIDGE' Nor am I particularly interested.
When I made my post I was responding to a post that you made which suggesting that if the RAW file was too big then he could convert to a TIFF which made no sense whatsoever to me as the TIFF file would have been bigger.

Please forget the tutorial onj my account as I am not interested.

Firstly you are interest or you would not bother replying to the post in the first place.
Secondly when you made the reply you jumped the gun as i corrected myself and you did not read it as i have already stated.
You are correct, you obviously took note about an original JPEG that it does not retain raw data and goes straight to photoshop.
What you keep MISSING is that you can save a RAW file as a JPEG and it will retain the RAW data as it was originally shot in RAW.
A quick tutorial for you.
This is how it works-
1. Open the RAW file in Photoshop.
2. Save as JPEG or TIFF (i won't get into the tiff side as i don't want to loose you)so we will stick with the JPEG
3. Now you send the JPEG (Remember the converted RAW File) to friend.
4. The friend saves to where ever they prefer.
5. The friend opens in Bridge.
6. The friend now opens in RAW by one of the two way command/control "R" (the short cut. Command for Mac control for P.C users) or file, camera raw.
7. The friend now has the JPEG file open in RAW with the RAW data intact.

Try It, Its something new for you and If your not Interested then that's no problem but I'm sure there are people out there willing to learn new techniques just like myself.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 24-12-09 at 23:14.
Old 25-12-09, 01:48

If we go back to the origins of the post (including what was posted on birdforum) it was the friend who wanted the raw file because they were going to give the tutorial to the sender.

If I understand you correctly you are saying a tiff or jpg will contain the original data of the camera RAW file ? If that is what you are saying then I would very interested in knowing how on earth it is going to achieve that.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 25-12-09, 01:56
The Wanderer

Hi Rob,
Thats what I am saying.
Do an experiment. Take a picture in camera as a jpeg then follow the tutorial above, the part where you open in raw from bridge. You will then see that there is no data or it won't open.
Then try it my way with the tutorial above and you will then see that you can open from bridge into camera raw and have full RAW data.
I have to do this technique a lot.
If you have ago let us know how you got on.
Happy christmas.