WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

1D or not to 1D

Old 19-10-09, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
the 1D series are APS-H cameras (1.3x crop), it's the 1Ds series that are full frame. Personally I prefer the 1Ds' but they tend to cost a good chunk more and have a much slower frame rate which could be an issue for a sport shooter.
If you're doing motorsport, then presumably the reduced effective focal length would be a disadvantage on a full frame camera?
Old 19-10-09, 19:05

yeah it would be, my 300mm wouldnt be as close on certain corners as it is on the 30D!
but maybe thats a sacrifice i can make :-)
Old 19-10-09, 21:22

If you buy the 1D you will develop much bigger muscles! I have recently bought the 7D and agree with Christine that it looks very very good, dare I say it but a Nikon D300 killer once the price has settled down. Strangely enough the last test of the Nikon I read (about the D300S) was slightly muted in it's praise. "Images appear slightly noisy at ISO 200" and "The only time autofocus struggles is with fast moving subjects when servo focus is used" while admitting that this is pretty common and that with 7fps some will be sharp. "Image quality, generally very sound but lacks the clarity of some models in this class and JPEGS are best avoided". Practical Photography magazine and I have picked out the bad bits but perhaps the honeymoon period for the D300 is over. !D or 7D and keep your existing lenses I say.
Old 27-10-09, 01:05

There is no comparison, been using a 1D Mk3 for several years now, for everything from sport to weddings. I also have a 30D which sits on the shelf at home and two 40Ds one as a back up the other my wife uses.

I seldom use the 40D, the 1D is way ahead of the rest, on focusing, down load rate, FPS, buffer size, focal points etc. The 1.3 drop is not a disadvantage either, I often use a 70 - 200 for sport work and return good results.

Saying this I am investing in a 1DS Mk3 at the end of the year and 2 5D Mk2s, but only for our wedding work for which they are more suited. If funds allow, I will be upgrading to the 1D MkIV in due course, once the lumps have been ironed out.
Old 28-10-09, 22:51

I would guess that a future 1D mark 4 (logic suggests a mark 4), would have similar functions to the new 7D. Build quality is better on the 7D and 1D series than your current 30D. If money was no object a future 1D mark4 might be the ticket. 7D focus tracking is simply breathtaking, and dare I say better than the 1D mark3.
However, assuming no manufacturer change, other than build quality durability and higher shutter count, if you're going to take sport photography seriously, system accessories are also a consideration. The 1D series have compatability for FTP and/or PTP (wiring) images directly from your body to your laptop, or remote server. If it doesn't sound like something you will use now, you might need it in the future, particularly on a paid job where time/speed of picture delivery is a big factor. Doesn't matter how good or bad the camera is if you have the images with you, and they need to be half a mile down the track back at the press office.
In the real world I would say go for the newest version of a s/h 1D series body you can afford.
Old 16-11-09, 18:48

If you were shooting professionally. Then absolutely. Get the 1d.

Frame rate, buffers, faster focusing as well as reliability, ruggedness and the quality of image output as well as several other designs that are aimed squarely at a working professional.

If you don't aim to work professionally, then its probably overkill.