WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

all rounder

Old 31-10-10, 00:36

Default all rounder

hi guys,

looking to buy my first digital camera,not sure what to buy as there are so many on offer,I would hate to buy something for £100 if I could buy something 2nd hand or new for a bit more,and get a far better camera with a bit of inside info,looking to spend around the £500 mark,I like to buy quality stuff when I spend my money,I'm looking for an all rounder sort of camera,please suggest some options as I'm totaly lost and also places to buy,cheers.

ps been looking at the canon eos 30d 40d 50d seem to get good reviews but are these models near enough the same or is there a big difference between the 30d and 50d? looking at 2nd hand but scared of ebay!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sneg; 31-10-10 at 01:37.
Old 31-10-10, 08:53

Hello sneg, welcome to WPF. You may find this thread "stickied" at the top of this forum to be useful.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=4587
Old 31-10-10, 15:53

Hi Sneg. i have both the 30d & 50d and enjoy both, picture quality in both are very good. The 30d is 8.1mp & the 50d is 15mp i feel the 50d gives more plus it has live view. If looking for 2nd hand try www.parkcameras.co.uk.
Old 31-10-10, 16:31

Hello Sneg. welcome to the forum. I think that it is important to actually feel the camera you are buying. Go and hold them in your hands before committing to a purchase. I use a 50d. I always thought that from the description it would be too big for me but tried it out and am very happy. Whatever you decide to buy I look forward to seeing the images.

Regards
Glenys
Old 31-10-10, 17:23

cheers guys for the help,been doing my homework and my short list is canon 50d or the nikon d5000 or nikon d90 does any of these jump out at being the one to go for? or are there any others I have missed,I would hate to think for a few £££ more I could have a far better camera,cheers guys
Old 31-10-10, 18:56

seen a used nikon d60 on amazon for less than £240 sounds like a good buy but not sure as it does not take all nikon lenes???? any help please? or the nikon d5000 new?

Last edited by sneg; 31-10-10 at 19:26.
Old 31-10-10, 20:01

Any SLR by Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Olympus will be more than enough. The important thing is to handle the camera and see how you like the feel, controls and interface. We cannot help you more really. The Canon 30D is fine, no need for more megapixels or more spending.
Old 31-10-10, 20:18

the canon 30d is in the same prive range as the options above so why the canon 30d over say the nikon d90?

ps just tried to find it to see about price but it looks like the 30d is no longer stocked?

Last edited by sneg; 31-10-10 at 20:36.
Old 31-10-10, 21:51

The 30D has been long superseded by the 40 and 50D. You'd have to buy it used, as I did with mine - eBay is a good option, as is ffordes or parkcameras. No reason to have the 30D over the D90 other than personal preference - I went for the canon because I had a canon lens already.

Speaking of lenses, they are much more important than bodies, if your budget is limited devote more, lots more of it to quality glass than bodies. Optics last forever while bodies come and go...likewise the lens is resposible for more of the image 'quality' than the body. Finally you need a camera that you are comfortable with - only you can decide that.
Old 31-10-10, 22:11

I do not know the Nikon range (Canon man me) but you are right to question which Nikon lenses work fully with D60 as I think some may not auto focus so hopefully a Nikon man on the forum can help you. Sorry I can't help you more on that one.