WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Guide Numbers and sync speed in flash.

Old 11-01-06, 21:14

As new life is starting to appear in the garden, I decided to carry out an experiment with flash. I mounted my two Sigma EF 500 flashguns either side of my Canon 300D, using the onboard camera as a trigger.

The attached photo is the result. Not quite mastered the technique as yet, but getting close. This is an uncropped 1-1 macro. As a guide the distance from the tip to the base of the the first pair of buds is 12mm

The Sigma's are far to heavy for the brackets, making it very difficult to hold, so will look for a couple of cheap flashguns as substitutes and try again.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Life.jpg (174.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-01-06, 22:02

This is a fascinating thread - I personally find using any kind of flash very difficult even for family snaps. Many years ago when I did dabble in studio work I preferred heavy duty, high wattage bulbs and brolleys. I could only have them on for a few minutes at a time as the heat was unbearable!

As soon as I can find a suitable piece of kit i.e. second hand flash gun I'm going to have play for myself following all Don and the other poters advice.

This is great stuff I hope the WPF continues to host this type of forum thread.
Old 11-01-06, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie
As new life is starting to appear in the garden, I decided to carry out an experiment with flash. I mounted my two Sigma EF 500 flashguns either side of my Canon 300D, using the onboard camera as a trigger.

The attached photo is the result. Not quite mastered the technique as yet, but getting close. This is an uncropped 1-1 macro. As a guide the distance from the tip to the base of the the first pair of buds is 12mm

The Sigma's are far to heavy for the brackets, making it very difficult to hold, so will look for a couple of cheap flashguns as substitutes and try again.

Harry
Harry,
Nice one.
Just been to Sigma's web site to check out your flash. Not surprised the setup is heavy. Bit of a job controlling output from 2 big guns G/N 50.
I would think at the lens to subject distances you are working 2 small G/N 12 units may do the trick.
You can guage the power required if you take a pic with only your pop up ( just checked DP Review and that has a G/N of 13. )

Don
Old 11-01-06, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sharp
I personally find using any kind of flash very difficult even for family snaps. Many years ago when I did dabble in studio work I preferred heavy duty, high wattage bulbs and brolleys. I could only have them on for a few minutes at a time as the heat was unbearable!

As soon as I can find a suitable piece of kit i.e. second hand flash gun I'm going to have play for myself following all Don and the other poters advice.
Jon,
I have also been down the bulb and brolly route. Would not even consider it now. What at one time I found hard, is now not so, and if I can help I will.

Any questions - just post them here. If you mention the camera you are using I can go to DP Review to check it out - should stop me saying something stupid.

Don
Old 11-01-06, 22:59

Don, Jessops have a selection of cheap flashguns, I'm going to buy a couple, as I think I can make it work ok. I only ever use manual so cheap may be best.

Will post my next attempt over the weekend.

Harry
Old 11-01-06, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie
Don, Jessops have a selection of cheap flashguns, I'm going to buy a couple, as I think I can make it work ok. I only ever use manual so cheap may be best.

Will post my next attempt over the weekend.

Harry
Just looked at Jessops and £18 for a G/N 15 is pretty impressive by todays standards.

Don
Old 11-01-06, 23:20

Yes that's the one I'm thinking of buying
Old 12-01-06, 14:39

Thanks Don - I'm now using a Canon 350d. I do have a very old Miranda flash gun, don't know what guide number it is sadly!

My local camera shop has a Cobra model for sale secondhand in Canon AF fit - I've no idea whether this is something I should explore further?

Jon
Old 12-01-06, 14:53

Jon the flash has to be more than just Canon AF fit for the Canon DSLR cameras. This is why your manual states the models of speedlite that work correctly. Basically the flash must support E-TTL. Some of the newer compatible flashes do support this and will work OK. Unfortunalty I think the 350D does not have a PC connector like the 20D does so that you could trigger an old flash gun at full power.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 12-01-06 at 14:55.
Old 12-01-06, 15:17

Thanks Rob - sadly at present the speedlites are way out of my budget range having recently invested in lenses. More research I think.