WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

D200 battery grip

Old 18-02-07, 13:53

Default D200 battery grip

Hi I have thought about a battery grip for the D200.

To be honest I have 2 batterys for the camera and havent really noticed that it eats up the power that much.

I am waying up the cost versus the weigt added to the camera, over just buying say a third battery so I always have enough power if I have a heavy days shooting.

Any advice from other members would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Nogbad
Old 18-02-07, 21:11

I had a D100 with the battery grip and that was because I preferred the handling. Camera without just too small for me. Unless you feel that the grip would give you similar benefit then just go for a battery. The grip is pretty light ( well by my standards very light ) so it might even be worth you giving one a try in a shop.

Don
Old 18-02-07, 23:05

I had a battery grip on my D200, I couldn't use it without it. The D200 feels like a toy without the grip.

Cheers

Nick
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).
Old 19-02-07, 11:12

I've always had large drives on my cameras. Similar applies to the more modern battery grip options.
Advantages other than the longer battery life and/or different battery options, is of course that you get the shutter release duplicated on many grips.....invaluable for camera handling when shooting in the 'portrait' / vertical format.
In the case of some cameras, we've had a few 'after-market' pattern made units come through from other manufacturers in the shop at work.......Go for the Nikon unit!...build quality is way better, and not necessarily way more expensive either.
That aside, way up the real pros and cons for yourself. My personal preference is to have them with.....my Colleagues laugh when they see me handling some of the even smaller DSLR's from Olympus...but the wife hates larger cameras, because she has much smaller hands.
I agree with Don, ultimately you need to try one out in your local shop.

Tho we've had all sorts of reasons from people in our shop as to why they want a grip...including one chap who wanted it "because it was more professional looking"!
Old 19-02-07, 19:14

Thanks to all for their advice. I will try one out at alocal shop and see what the difference is.

I dont have very large hands and the D200 fits just right at the mo.

I tend to carry it in the hand most of the time and dont particularly want to carry additional weight.

Will see what it feels like then decide.

Many thanks again for all your remarks.

Nogbad