WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

NX 2 discussion & (hopefully) tips

Old 24-07-08, 10:12

I have not tried that brush yet Chris. After seeing your results I must give it a go. Looks to be a handy tool.

So for retrieving detail in the end wall did you use Highlight protection in Quick Fix or go another route.

Don
Old 24-07-08, 16:04
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
I have not tried that brush yet Chris. After seeing your results I must give it a go. Looks to be a handy tool.

So for retrieving detail in the end wall did you use Highlight protection in Quick Fix or go another route.

Don
In this case I started with brush as pic would be useless cables could be got rid of. Thereafter all quick-fix, but exp com -.67 then shadow prot 20% and a tweak of the curve; I usually start by getting the sky right and near zero highlight using double threshold, then look at rest of image - if it had been a more problematic one, I would have gone to LCH rather than tweak curve in quickfix.

New(er S/H) box came this morning so expect more who knows what further improvements. Was dreading OS10.5, but it is the first OS since 10.2 where the interface has actually improved, whereas 10.4 was a trough of despond. Speed will allow me to set NX2 so the adjustments stay active when one backtracks.
Old 25-07-08, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
New(er S/H) box came this morning so expect more who knows what further improvements. Was dreading OS10.5, but it is the first OS since 10.2 where the interface has actually improved, whereas 10.4 was a trough of despond. Speed will allow me to set NX2 so the adjustments stay active when one backtracks.
Have fun with your new toy Chris.

My machine is not up to Foxy's powerhouse , so I have not set active adjustments on a backtrack.

Don
Old 28-07-08, 22:52
Chris

2 features I hadn't noticed prior to faster box:

1: starting off with a small 'trial selection' using +brush (a bit like the flower in Nikon tutorials), you can then set the adjustment (or a series of linked adjustments) on the basis of the trial. You can then carry on brushing ad lib and/or check the extent of the mask using mask or overlay. Trying to add or subtract after choosing an adjustment was the surest way of crashing the programme before! You can also dab/undo/redo and use pressure settings. Never realised how accurately a PP 'brush' could replicate real one. Nice when choosing exactly how much/little of an image actually needs sharpening. (Don't tell me, all Photoshop users learnt this in the cradle).

2: used to think the temorary reset of individual panes within LCH was something that just didn't work - it does, toggles between before and after
Old 29-07-08, 19:52
Chris

Quote:
If you are short of desktop space or prefer an uncluttered layout this could be a solution.

Presentation View is initially activated from the top menu bar. View - Presentation. To alternate the view with the standard screen hit P on the keyboard. P again will return to presentation view.

Presentation View gives a larger screen view than Full Screen view. Its background colour is black rather than grey though. To move the image around the screen drag the Birds Eye view around inside its box.

Initially in the Presentation View, all tools are hidden. They will appear when the curser hovers over their normal position. Tools can be undocked and moved around the screen to suit and will then remain visible. Undocked tools loose visibility when the mouse curser moves off them.
The F is very useful and a nice way of working as I do usually have a pretty messy desktop. It makes no difference to the the tool & support windows, they stay put quietly. In P, once tool boxes are invoked, they stay, and although the tools can be shown/hidden with tab key, once touched, the programmers have forced them to the front & only re-start will get them back to normal. In the meantime both menus and dock get part hidden behind them; useless (Bit of OS difference? Must get some feedback in to them as it is definitely incorrect for OS 10)

With both F & P the image can be moved with both scroll wheel (shift for L-R) or direction arrows. F also reverts with escape key and the near microscopic arrows at bottom useful for toggling between 2 or more pics for comparison. Getting rid of horrid scroll & header bars also actually increases size of the actual pic. Nice.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it Don.

Last edited by Chris; 30-07-08 at 13:24. Reason: further experience
Old 29-07-08, 20:18

Quote:
The F is very useful and a nice way of working as I do usually have a pretty messy desktop. It makes no difference to the the tool & support windows, they stay put quietly. In P, once tool boxes are invoked, they stay (Bit of OS difference?).
Probably right about the OS Chris.
When I get a mo I will post a screen grab of the Windows view of F

Don
Old 30-07-08, 09:14
Chris

Quote:
Probably right about the OS Chris.
When I get a mo I will post a screen grab of the Windows view of F

Don
I have amended previous post as the occlusion of dock also extends to covering menus after invoking tools and pallete in P. Interested to see if that is the case with PC.
Old 30-07-08, 18:37

Quote:
I have amended previous post as the occlusion of dock also extends to covering menus after invoking tools and pallete in P. Interested to see if that is the case with PC.
Is this the case if the dock has 'automatically hide and show the dock' selected?

Picture 1 = F
Picture 2 = P

OS 10.5.4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (216.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (145.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 30-07-08, 21:07
Chris

I do have the dock 'automatically show & hide' checked. But for clarity here is a dump of the worse effect on menus. It is in F mode for clarity, but after showing tool bar etc while in P mode. (no menu bar in P whatever you do, in fact not really a working environment at all IMO, just to see pic with black background)

Last edited by Chris; 31-07-08 at 09:23.
Old 30-07-08, 21:25

I see, it not THE dock but a dock!

If the tool tile is left in its default position instead of the default position for NX(1) there is no issue, see screen grab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (144.1 KB, 5 views)