WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

change of camera needed

Old 06-12-08, 15:01

Default change of camera needed

my friend bought me a fujifilm s8000fd to replace the fuji s5700 of mine that he broke. thing is i'm bored of it and i haven't even had it 2months yet.
i much preferred the s5700, on maximum zoom all images on the s8000 seem noisy and almost out of focus which is one of the major gripes with this model
so i'm going to stick on fleabay or something.

so what i want to know is what can i get to replace it, at a not so huge price because i'm a poor little student. And do the lenses for say the cannon t70 fit any of the cannon dslrs?
Old 06-12-08, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliria View Post
so what i want to know is what can i get to replace it, at a not so huge price because i'm a poor little student.
It would help if you could give us an idea of your budget.
Old 06-12-08, 15:55

um... not really much over 200, but it depends how much i can get for the fuji
Old 06-12-08, 16:49

The Canon T 70 was a FD mount SLR from the old film days so any lenses that fit that will not fit an EOS camera film or digital. As well as the amount of money what type of camera are you looking for? SLR? Bridge camera? Compact? What sort of focal length range? Full manual control? RAW? The questions are almost endless but you need to think about what you want now and have an eye to the future too.
Old 06-12-08, 19:39

Hi,
You mentioning the T70 suggests you are after a 'proper' digi SLR, rather than another 'bridge' camera as the Fuji's you got/had are.
If you're after entering an SLR system, it is possible to get something if you can stretch a little over £200.
New options..... take a look at the entry level Sony A200 with 18-70 lens. (around £250 if you do some hunting)
A few secondhand options (if you fancy looking on ebay?)
some near new Pentax ist SLR cameras aren't too bad....
Early Fuji's S1 or S2 bodies + lens (they use nikon fit)...a bit big, but capable
Very early original Nikon D1 bodies normally fetch less than £200 (or stretch to a D1h..there's a massive difference in image quality!)...be prepared, they can get battered about during their lives
Very early Canon Eos 1D mark 1 bodies can go for less than £200 (again, you'll need an EF fit lens NOT FD)....again, these 'could' have had hard treatment
Canon 300D + 18-55 (darn it...we sold one recently for £140)!!
Nikon D70 + lens (loads about, and seem to fetch less than the D50 in some circumstances)
KonicaMinolta 5D bodies + lens can go for less than £200 (Sony took their camera business, therefore these are same lens fit as Sony)
All of the above options should produce better results than your Fuji S8000.

Good luck, hope this helps?

Last edited by Joe; 06-12-08 at 19:47.
Old 06-12-08, 20:43

thanks, it helps alot.

i've posted this in a few other places and all i got told was that im obviously mis using the camera. its nice to get a proper answer
Old 07-12-08, 10:03

Joe makes a very good point. The digital SLR has been around for long enough for a good second hand market to have emerged. The pro Nikon's that are mentioned are good for over 150,000 shutter actuations.

If I had my time again I would have purchased a pro Nikon sooner which would have allowed investment in better glass earlier.

Here are two examples different cameras but the same glass.

D2Hs (4Mpx) - built 2003 example

D2X (12Mpx) - built 2005 example
Old 07-12-08, 10:12

Would agree that a 2nd hand dSLR seems to be the most appropriate option. Have a look on ebay to see what there is, or you may be lucky and persuade one of our members that that 2nd body they have had since upgrading never gets used, so they may as well pass it on to you at a bargain price.
Old 07-12-08, 11:18

As Duncan suggests try your luck with a "Wanted" Ad in this forum or in Birdforum. Birdforum has a large photographer following. Photographers tend to build up a fair bit of kit that never gets used. From time to time they free up a bit of kit to finance another project.

Try your luck you never know.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 07-12-08, 12:36

Currys are doing a deal on the Olympus E420 twin lens kit (stad zoom and tele zoom) this weekend...just under £250.

For the money, you'll get quite a wide range in terms of lens magnification. The olympus system is also very small. Not my cup of tea (got big hands), but the camera plus std lens is about the same size as your Fuji......They are nicely / solidly made too (where the Canon 300D and Fuji S1 options I suggested might feel a little plasticy by comparision)

Last edited by Joe; 07-12-08 at 12:53.