WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Subjects & Locations for Photography in Autumn / Winter.

Old 19-09-06, 12:05

Question Subjects & Locations for Photography in Autumn / Winter.

Snowyowls post last night on the colours of Autumn / Fall ( critique forum ) got me thinking and this question is rather directed towards UK members.

Before WPF, I primarily photographed Steam Rallies ( May through to October ), I then only occaionally used the camera from late October until spring, spending my time in the workshop doing model engineering. If last winter was anything to go by, WPF started mid December, model eng might well take a back seat again.

So to the question or questions.

What type of subjects and locations are your favoured for this time of year ?

Are there any spectacular places to visit for Autumn colour ?

Should I be looking at architecture in the period where there are no leaves on the trees ? If so what are good locations ?

Hopefully replies will be of value to other members as well.

For members in the tropics & southern hemisphere we can always dream at the pics you post in this period.

Don
Old 19-09-06, 18:03

I think the most important thing is you subject(s) should interest you, whether visually, emotionally or intellectually. Without something to spark your interest any image would be sterile (or it would be for me!)

My main interests at this time of year are birds (especially migratory), fungi, berries. Landscapes, as ever, are there too, and I enjoy looking for changes autumn brings to familiar views. I also tend to get out climbing more at this time of year, so my camera gets out climbing too!

In short, much the same as usual, but flavoured by the season.

In winter, I might do a bit of window-lit still life, and also quite a lot of catching up on post-processing, scanning etc in those long dark evenings.
Old 19-09-06, 19:06

I am the same as Don, as the airshow season winds down i start to think what can i take pictures of. I do spend allot of the winter processing my photos, developing my website, purchasing new kit etc.
I do occasionaly go out and take some landscapes but that is about it for me, ill stay at home in the warm. This winter thouggh i realy whant to get into some macro photography so i guess my camera will come out more often.
Old 19-09-06, 20:53

Well the old favourites are Autumn woods, especially places such as Burnham Beeches, the New Forest, the Forest of Dean and the Caledonian Forests of Scotland. Old buildings such as Windsor Castle are nicely framed by Autumnal trees. Darter and Hawker dragonflies are still abundant. Fungi are my obsession, and most people like pictures of Fly Agarics and Death Caps. I don't think you can go wrong with a nice colourful group of mushrooms. The season is starting and usually peaks in October, though for the last 4 years or so there has been a massive collapse in numbers.

Anyone looking for some lovely fungi should check out fallen trees. Also if you live near some downs, such as the South Downs, or in the wilds of Scotland, then take a walk over unfertilised grassland, and you might come across beautiful wax caps, which can be bright shades of red, orange, green, yellow, white and purple.

Come Winter I am usually moaning about the dark evenings and the miserable cold days. I guess Winter is a time for Winter birds such as Goldeneye and Fieldfare. But you need a big lens for that and most of use do not have such a thing. Yes size does matter when it comes to birds. [No sniggering in the back row.] If there is frost, then hoar frost can make the mundane come alive, and snow can create lovely black and white scenes. I'd still rather be in Florida.

I think Don has the right idea: find a shed to hibernate in.

Leif
Old 20-09-06, 09:09

And to add to all of the above don't forget the spiders in their webs which show up wonderfully on misty mornings, frost patterns on the car windscreens.
Snow scapes can be beautiful but difficult, so remember to play around with exposure to get true whites.
Landscapes can be more haunting, gnarled trees without leaves grab the attention more.

So forget the warm shed, get well wrapped up and enjoy a season which still has a lot to offer. (it may sound upbeat but I still HATE the short days)

Regards,

www.imageinnovator.com
Old 20-09-06, 16:26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
. Fungi are my obsession, and most people like pictures of Fly Agarics and Death Caps. I don't think you can go wrong with a nice colourful group of mushrooms. The season is starting and usually peaks in October, though for the last 4 years or so there has been a massive collapse in numbers.
Leif
Well here is the first of the Fungi taken yesterday in my garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fungi190906.jpg (196.1 KB, 21 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 20-09-06, 20:24

Re the comment re bird pics in the winter,one could manage decent bird images without the need for a long zoom,as there are no leaves on the trees,and the birds are more easily spotted.Also strategically placed crumbs ,whilst you sit in your hide(the car!!),birds will come for the offerings,and even with a compact cam,a good image can be obtained.practise with Gulls,good large birds,snowy white plumage,nice bright yellow beaks and feet,Robins are very tame and curious.Wander along the deserted beaches,taking shots of seaweed and pebbles.Of course last,but not least,Autumn leaves.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 21-09-06, 00:12
Super Moderator

How about a trip to Westonbirt Arboretum - the Japanese Maple collection is stunning if you time your vist right.

Check out the Forestry Commission web site to see how the colours are turning at the park/arboretum you are proposing to visit
Old 21-09-06, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Check out the Forestry Commission web site to see how the colours are turning at the park/arboretum you are proposing to visit
Great link. Thanks Clive.

Don
Old 23-09-06, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Well here is the first of the Fungi taken yesterday in my garden.
Looks like Honey Fungus to me. It is a serious pathogen of living trees.

Christine: Good tips for bird photography. Sadly I do not live near the seaside. What focal length lens would you say is the minimum needed with a cropped sensor DSLR?