WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon 300 f2.8 or f4

Old 27-07-07, 16:53

Smile Nikon 300 f2.8 or f4

Just wondering of the difference in the Nikon 300f2.8 AFS VR and Nikon 300f4 AFS (noVR) is worth the money. I have a D80 and take bird and wildlife photos. I have a Tamron 200-500 F5.6 and was wondering if the cost of the Nikons is worth the change. I now I would loose magnification but I was hoping the the results would be so much better that cropping would solve that. I also have a Kenko pro 300 1.4 and that would also help but I don't really want to use it much. Or should I just save or wait for a second hand 400 f2.8 AF-S ( I think I'd be waiting a long time though ;-))
Old 27-07-07, 18:38

I don't know much about bird or wildlife photography but I do have the 300 f2.8 VR. Its a perfect lens, fast sharp and focuses quickly/accurately. The tiny bit I know about bird photography is... often a lens is used at its widest aperture to increase shutter speed preserving sharpness for your movable subject and to blur the background. These attributes come from a fast lens with wide aperture hence the f2.8 would be good. I dont think VR is going to be worth it for you but again I am no birder so cannot really comment.

Take a look at the number of blades the diaphram has, the more the better the background out of focus region will appear (Bokeh).

Perhaps the 400 f2.8 might be ideal so definately worth waiting for.
Old 27-07-07, 19:45
Admin

The 300/2.8 is a great portable walkaround lens for bird photography (superb with 1.4x or 1.7x tc)... but if you're even thinking of saving for a 400/2.8, then tripod use is certainly on your mind (as you can do nothing else with that beast). To be honest, I'd put your money towards a Sigma 500 f4.5 prime (although you may have to use a slightly modified Nikon tc-14e teleconverter to work with that).

Must admit, as an ambition, a 500/4 or 600/4 would be the better choice for most bird photographers than a 400/2.8, which is a bit short for most, despite it's light gathering abilities... and it sounds as if you're struggling a bit with reach as it is.

cheers,
Andy
Old 27-07-07, 20:40

Hl Micheal,
good to see the tricolour flying from the old country.Good advice from Andy and Stephen, and I would add the following.
Sell the 200-500, and assuming you were going to buy a NEW 300/2.8 VR, then I would put both monies to buy a 300/4 AFS Nikkor, and a 500/4.5 HSM Sigma, both secondhand.
It is suggested that you should be able to get both for the price of a new 300VR.There should be enough left over for a 1.4TC (Nikkor).
This will give you a good walk about lens and a lens with good reach.
If my maths is good, you will end up with a 300/4,420/5.6,500/4.5 and700/6.3 which is more than most bird snappers dream of.
Both these lenses give very high image quality.
As for the 400/2.8 forget it, very heavy and you will gain very little over any of the suggested combos.At the end of the day its your money and choice.
Regards Subzero.
Old 28-07-07, 08:53

Thanks for all the great advice. Just one other quick question/comment - Is the Sigma 500 F4.5 as sharp as Nikons and regarding the Nikon 300 f4 is the glass as good as the f2.8 and do you not miss the extra light.

Thanks
Old 28-07-07, 18:51

Micheal,
please visit Andy Bright web site www.digiscoped.com he has an excelent review of the sigma 500/4.5 and many high quality images taken with it.Also ask on bird forum, nikon and canon forums for thoughts on this lens, it is widely used by many.
Sharpness like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, only you can decide that.
F2.8 or 4 ,step up the iso !
See nikon forum on www.birdforum.com for remarks on the 300/4 with converters, this should help you.
regards Subzero.
Old 28-07-07, 19:15
Admin

Thanks for the plug but the birdforum galleries are more of a visual recommendation than my site.
Birdforum galleries to look at to evaluate the Sigma 500/4.5 credentials
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00&ppuser=3294
and
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho.../3/ppuser/5522
and
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00&ppuser=5678
and
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...0&ppuser=25708

There's quite a few others as well... which goes to prove that this lens is a fabulous lens for the bird photographer, without the considerable cost and weight of the 500/4 and 600/4 prime lenses.
A used version for under £1500 (make sure it is EX HSM version or newer) is pretty much irresistable.

cheers,
Andy
Old 29-07-07, 10:10

SubZero,Andy et all - thanks for all the good advise. I'll now spend some time have a good look at these two lenses and keep my eye open for used ones.

Again many thanks