WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

A naive question

Old 18-12-05, 23:01

Default A naive question

Okay so I am leaning towards going DSLR, so I am looking at the Nikon D50. No long lenses yet but the camera and I have my choice of two lenses:

W/18-55 F/3.5-4.5G (SD - 799.00
W/NIKKOR 28-80 LENS(SD - 699.99

Why is the 18 -55 more expensive? Is it more desireable for closeups and would it be that much different from the 28*80? Thanks
Old 18-12-05, 23:32

I think I may have been on here too long today..........
I will have a look at them but when it comes to the range of focal lengths which are described in 35mm terms, you need to take into account the x1.5 magnification effect of the sensor on these.

If you have not used 35mm before to recognise them it would be helpful for you to briefly describe the type of subject you will be shooting.

I have a D100 and 2 lenses in this sort of range
18-35mm f3.5-4.5D ED - gives a wide enough angle for me to get fairly large views in through to the view a fixed lens camera would give. In 35mm terms this would equal a 27mm - 52mm.
28-105mm f3.5-4.5D with Macro setting - gives a view that extends in scope from the lens above through to slight telephoto. In 35mm terms this would equal a 42mm - 157mm with close up facility.

Don
Old 18-12-05, 23:47

Thanks for this Don. I guess I should have prefaced this request with the statement that for the last 3 years I have been digiscoping and I love it but I am becoming more and more frustrated missing the shots on quick moving birds and of course flight shots. Very little 35mm slr experience behind me. It has all been digital for the last 6 years though I do shoot only in manual modes. I will be also getting a longer lens in the hopefully not to distant future.
Old 18-12-05, 23:59

Just been to Nikon USA site, should have gone there first before replying.

The 18-55 is a DX lens so no x1.5 factor - that makes this a seriously wide angle through to standard lens. The high price will be down to an ED element and Hybrid aspherical element and the fact that superwides are of more complex construction. Without looking at the results or even through a viewfinder I would not know how well it has been corrected for verticals. At the edge of the frame there is a tendancy for verticals to be bowed out ( barrel distortion ) on less than pro quality lenses.

The other lens you mention is not DX so my previous posts comments apply.

Don
Old 19-12-05, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin
Thanks for this Don. I guess I should have prefaced this request with the statement that for the last 3 years I have been digiscoping and I love it but I am becoming more and more frustrated missing the shots on quick moving birds and of course flight shots. Very little 35mm slr experience behind me. It has all be digital for the last 6 years though I do shoot only in manual modes. I will be also getting a longer lens in the hopefully not to distant future.
You were replying at the same time as I was on so we missed in the ether.
Now I know where you are coming from I think it would be helpful to understand your budget ( a link to a suitable web site would be helpful ) and what you initially expect to use the camera for.
For birds you are really in the 400mm lens bracket, but if you want to do some general stuff as well that is not a practical option.

Don
Old 19-12-05, 00:15

LOL, I don't dive into anything. I usually try to get my feet wet first and then wade for quite awhile so that is why I was planning on going ahead and getting the camera with either of the two lens mentioned and just spend time learning the camera and its options. I suspected that I would be going for the 400mm lens before long and hopefully a lens with AF. I suspect that this setup will run me close to 1800 to 2000. At least that's what I am hoping for and I hope you don't tell me I am dreaming with this monetary expectation. The long lens does not specifically have to be nikon.
Old 19-12-05, 00:55

Don't know prices but this lens 24 - 85 is slightly wider angle faster aperture and probably better built worth a look $100 rebate as well. http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2141

When it comes to the long lens most on the BirdForum seem to favour Sigma. Oddly I was on Andys site this evening admiring the quality of the robbin in his Sigma review. Now that picture is SHARP.

Don
Old 19-12-05, 01:14

Don, I want to thank you so much for the time you have given me along with your detailed explanations. Copying and printing out all info to take with me when I go shopping. Thanks again.
Old 19-12-05, 01:33

It is interesting to read this tread as i am looking at getting this camera as my first dslr with a 18-55 mm lens for general use and a 100-300mm lens for aircraft photography.
Old 19-12-05, 10:45

Just to clarify an earlier point,all Nikon DSLRs use the same physical size sensors so the 1.5x increase in apparent focal length has to be applied to all lenses when comparing them with a 35mm system.