WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

IS/VR Macro lenses?

Old 06-04-10, 00:44

Yes I'd looked at this lens, but wasn't too sure about it. Must admit I've had an hankering for the IS Macro for some time now. I understand it also works extremely well in servo focus.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 06-04-10, 00:51
Super Moderator

I've got the 70-300 IS non DO and have been very pleased with the results...

Like you I've a hankering for the 100m IS macros ... just trying to justify the extra £300 over the non IS version
Old 06-04-10, 11:40

I have the 70-300 DO because at the time of purchase the alternative was the less than stellar 75-300. The DO is a lovely lens but quite heavy though well balanced and I love it but given the same decision today would look long and hard at the present none DO and probably go with that, especially for a one off trip. As Clive says you may be able to afford the 100 L IS macro then and that would decide it for me.
Old 07-04-10, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Yes I'd looked at this lens, but wasn't too sure about it. Must admit I've had an hankering for the IS Macro for some time now. I understand it also works extremely well in servo focus.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Slightly off subject I know but it could be of interest. The 7D has a special AI servo mode for macro lenses - when you use any Canon macro lens (not necessarily an I.S. one) at Macro distances the Servo auto switches into a special mode that doubles the normal Servo sampling mode.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 07-04-10, 14:56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Hi Clive, not yet. I'm now in two minds as to what to buy. My youngest son is taking me to Italy for a few days. (fathers day pressie)

We will be visiting Pompeii, Naples and Sorrento, I'm not to keen on travelling around with my heavyweight "L" lenses. So I'm considering buying the Canon EF 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM lens to partner my 17-55mm f/2.8 and 7D.

But then again we're now coming into the macro season and I need a new macro lens, my very old 100mm Canon one as seen far better days. If I buy the 70-300 approx £1350, I cannot afford the Macro IS lens, but could manage the non IS one.
So many problems. I'm just waiting for a price update from Kerso.

Harry
make sure you don't pay £1350 for the DO, it can be had for a lot less than that - http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod65.html also they come up secondhand fairly often and seem to go for ~£600-700. I did have a look at one recently (s/h in my local shop), it seemed like a nice lens but I couldn't see a difference between it and images from the standard 70-300 IS. Personally I wouldn't be able to justify the extra money for a DO, it might be 5cm shorter but the money saved would get you a 100 f2.8 IS...
Old 07-04-10, 15:05

Thanks for the info. I will certainly look at S/H, but will probably go for the cheaper non DO lens.

I should have the 100mm IS macro in a couple of days, just hope the weather improves a little, cold and wet here.

Harry