WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Quantaray

Old 24-12-05, 21:42

Default Quantaray

Anyone familiar with Quantaray Lenses?

I've got a 70 - 300 on loan to see how I like the weight for my new Nikon D50 and I'm not really sure whether the softness I am seeing in the photo is the lens or my inabilities.

After 3 years of digiscoping and virtually hands free photography, I am coming to terms with holding a camera all over again. I already know, until I rebuild a few muscles, sequential shooting is out as I am jerking too much.
Old 24-12-05, 22:10
Admin

It's a distinctly N. Amercan discount brand so I can't really help... but I expect a few others can. Remember, if the light allows, stop the camera down a bit more to f8... it often has a major impact on those 70-300 zoom lenses.

I know just how you feel about going back to actually holding a camera... it was a very odd experience for myself.
Old 24-12-05, 22:38

I'd recommend the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro version - again it's best at around f8 - very good budget birding lens as you avoid the purple fringing evident with some cheaper lenses.
Old 24-12-05, 22:39

Thanks Andy. I'll give it a go the next sunny day we get. Supposed to rain all day on Christmas
Old 24-12-05, 22:41

Thanks Sue. I know it will definitely be the sigma or the nikon in the 70-300 range. B&H Photo over here has the nikon second hand in pristine condition for 179. so I might give that one a go.
Old 24-12-05, 22:44
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin
Thanks Sue. I know it will definitely be the sigma or the nikon in the 70-300 range. B&H Photo over here has the nikon second hand in pristine condition for 179. so I might give that one a go.
I wouldn't bother to pay the extra for the Nikkor 70-300 ED version (i've had two of them over the years)... it's slightly better than the non ED version but hardly anything in it really. The Sigma is the best 70-300.
Old 24-12-05, 23:02

Supposedly the Nikon G version is identical to the Tamron - I've used that and it's pretty good but definitely not as good as the Sigma APO lens with regard to shooting in sunlight.
Old 24-12-05, 23:19

Quote:
Anyone familiar with Quantaray Lenses?

I've got a 70 - 300 on loan to see how I like the weight for my new Nikon D50 and I'm not really sure whether the softness I am seeing in the photo is the lens or my inabilities.
Here is a simple test you can do. After all there is no per frame cost. Find anything with a textured surface, a brick wall, panelled fence, even something from the house, soft drink bottles with bold labeling. Set yourself up, either tripod or resting the camera on a firm surface. You will need to set at least aperture control and record this setting as you go. Work from the widest aperture through to f11. With the camera steady you should have eliminated shake and if the light is reasonable you will not reach a point where mirror bounce will have any effect.
If you were getting fussy you could use a poster with bold graphics.

There you go, something else to do!!!

I know, I know, more distractions from the birds.

Don
Old 24-12-05, 23:25

I really do appreciate all this help guys.

I want to all to know that I am feeling quite insignificant with my new DSLR at the moment. I keep telling myself, I felt this way when I first start digiscoping but somehow it's not helping I guess I will definitely order the Sigma lens come Monday morning. Thanks again.
Old 24-12-05, 23:30

Quote:
Thanks Andy. I'll give it a go the next sunny day we get. Supposed to rain all day on Christmas
Does this mean birding will be on hold ....... to much to eat and drink!!

As we are not talking about the effects of shake but lens resolution you could do an indoors flash of your empty drinks cans .......... or bottles.

Don