WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

D80??

Old 24-02-11, 20:40

Default D80??

I know it's an old camera, but I used to own the D40 and loved it and currently own a Canon, but would like to upgrade and go back to Nikon. I have heard good things about the D80, but cannot afford the D90 unfortunately, which I know is a superior camera!

The only thing that's bothering me about the D80 is the noise at higher ISOs, but I probably won't be needing to take that many low light pictures.

I don't have any Nikon lenses and will only have about £550 (ish) to spend on a Nikon body and lens/lenses. I do want the minimum wide angle of 18 in a lens, so will most likely go back to the 18-55 lens that I used to use (and love) with the D40. But I would also like a lens with a bit more zoom (am used to 250mm max.). So, what lenses would you recommend in my budget range?

Thanks!
Old 24-02-11, 22:25
Super Moderator

On a limited budget, I would stick with your current brand - changing is an expensive business... and lets face it both are good brands - and without lenses ....
Old 25-02-11, 08:13

Thanks for the reply Gidders.

I think I'm going to still get the D80 though and probably just stick with an 18-55 lens until I can afford a second lens.

I am selling my Canon and two lenses (the very excellent 55-250 IS) and the equally good nifty fifty. So, will see what I can get with what the Canon body and lenses sell for.

In the future I'd like either the D90 or D200!
Old 25-02-11, 11:40
Super Moderator

Have you considered a Canon 40D - 10Mp like the Nikon, go for about the same money, a great camera, and you wouldn't have to change lenses (I use one )

Dave Smith is selling one <<<here>>>
Old 25-02-11, 18:50

Default D80

You can pick up used D80 bodies for £250ish and there's a wealth of 2nd hand lenses of all focal lengths available. I've upgraded from a D80 to a D90 but kept the D80 with a Tamron 18-270 lens as a "walkabout" combination, keeping the D90 and lenses for more specific work.Gidders may be right though-which Canon camera do you have? If it's newer than the D80, the technology will be more advanced and you already have lenses. (and this from a Nikon user!!!)

Dave
Old 25-02-11, 20:21

I've decided I'm getting the D80 with the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses.

Really don't want to go back to Canon, though they are on a par. I just have a soft spot for Nikon.
Old 26-02-11, 17:05

Good choice then! Don't forget there are lots of 2nd hand lenses about-I've bought from MPB photographic and Mifsuds in the past and it's hard to tell their used equipment from new.
Good luck with your new acquisitions and post some shots asap!

Dave
Old 27-02-11, 15:58

Slight change of plan....Have decided to get the D90 instead and have bought a brand new 'body only' one today for £520 (inc. delivery). I figured as I was selling my almost new Canon 500d and my partner is also selling his (equally as new) Canon 1000d, we would be better off buying one of the best cameras we could afford and have wanted for ages!! Also, buying the D90 new, we are at least buying a camera with 0 shutter actuations, which is a good thing!

Now, just looking for the 18-55 VR and 50-200 VR lenses at a good price, as we ended up spending quite a bit more on the body than we had planned to.
Old 27-02-11, 16:08

Excellent price! I paid £499 for mine (2nd hand) 12 months ago-you'll find that the D90 is great!

Dave