WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Photographing the Moon

Old 14-05-06, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
This might be obvious to everyone, but even if you have a rock steady tripod, there is a limit to how much detail you can obtain with an unguided camera and lens, for the simple reason that the moon moves relative to the Earth. To get critical sharpness, you need a driven mounting (termed an equatorial mounting) that compensates for the Earth's rotation. (The motion of the moon relative to the stars is small relative to the motion of the stars.) One way to improve sharpness without using a driven mounting is to increase the film/sensor ISO to allow shorter exposures. (I've not done the numbers to work out what you can get away with.)

As an aside, many people think that the best time to photograph the moon is when it is full i.e. fully illuminated. That is not really true, as most of the detail is washed out, since the light hits the moon head on, and there are no shadows. More detail is seen when the moon is a crescent as seen in Don's photo. In the region between the light and dark areas, shadows pick out numerous craters, otherwise invisible in a full moon image. I've seen composite pictures of the moon made by combining photos taken at various phases, so as to show craters over the entire surface, and not just at the terminator.

Leif
This makes a lot of sense and explains why I failed to get a sharper image by stopping down the lens. I noticed the moon moving remarkably fast needing camera and lens reposition every shot, 40-50 seconds or so. I predict 1/100 at ISO400 f6.3 is realistic for my next attempt.
Old 14-05-06, 20:08
Admin

Yep, the speed of the moon is quite amazing, you're constantly having to move with it's arc. I prefer a minimum of 1/125 sec at around f8.

As has been said and common to all long distance photography, but even more important here, the atmospheric polutants play a big part in a sharp image.

I'd also forget about trying to shoot 'big moons' that are low to the horizon, they pick up even more astmospheric rubbish.

Here's my favourite, when I (o.k. accidentally) got a airliner across the moon. In fact it's amazing how often you do see aircraft and birds crossing the face of the moon at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moonjet.jpg (164.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 14-05-06, 20:34

Thats a cracking image Andy.

Just rummaging through Stevies Astronomy links and found this Moon calender.
http://www.paulcarlisle.net/old/MoonCalendar.html

Don
Old 14-05-06, 22:11

Here's one I took late last year.
Canon 20D + 100-400mm L IS, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 100, MLU, tripod.
It's a 100% crop, and has been sharpened. From what I rememember, the moon was quite high in the sky.
http://www.sypix.co.uk/gallery/album...on17112005.jpg
Old 14-05-06, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo
It's a 100% crop, and has been sharpened. From what I rememember, the moon was quite high in the sky.
This has really surprised me not being a long lens owner. Very impressive for 400mm.

Don
Old 16-05-06, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I'd also forget about trying to shoot 'big moons' that are low to the horizon, they pick up even more astmospheric rubbish.

Here's my favourite, when I (o.k. accidentally) got a airliner across the moon. In fact it's amazing how often you do see aircraft and birds crossing the face of the moon at night.
Most of that atmospheric rubbish is moisture drawn in from the oceans however an East wind does bring pollution from the European continent. Here is my pic with one of those airliner thingies spoiling an otherwise top moon shot .

Seriously it does show a big moon about 35 degrees above the horizon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moonshot.jpg (210.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 16-05-06, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo
http://www.sypix.co.uk/gallery/album...on17112005.jpg
Brilliant, it must have been bright to realise 1/250 f8 at ISO100. It seems shutter speed is the key to a sharp photo
Old 02-06-06, 16:31

If anyone is interested in having an attempt of photographing the moon. The weather forecast tonight in the United Kingdom is for clear skies, low humidity and the moon will be showing in the first quarter stage (almost half moon).
Old 02-06-06, 16:57
Super Moderator

Thanks Stephen, I will have to give it a go and see if I can get better shots than I already have. The good weather is down to me I ordered it for the wedding Sunday.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 02-06-06, 19:15

Christine,
It might be my tripod but after a series of tests I found that I needed 1/250 s to produce sharp images. The test shots were of a brick wall at about 40 m with the tripod legs fully extended and the centre column down. MLU was not employed. The focal length was 400 mm, crop factor 1.6 and enlarements to A4.

By the way here is another moon shot.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moon-4.jpg (90.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by John; 02-06-06 at 20:08.