WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

DOF, camera shake and macro work

Old 21-12-05, 03:14

Default DOF, camera shake and macro work

My new Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens arrived today. As ever, Canon's equipment is reassuringly solid and the image quality, I can see already, is going to be fantastic. I'll be using it for general work as well as macro, but the main task, at least to begin with, will be wildflowers. Early in the new year, I'll order a flash unit for it (I have my eye on the Macro Twin Lite) but, for once in my life, I decided to delay gratification a little and do the first month or so without the flash while I learn.

Now with a normal lens and normal-sized subjects (my cat, let's say, or a landscape), I have a good feel for what shutter speeds I can get away with. Similarly, I know what I can reasonably attempt or not attempt with the 100-400L. But a couple of dozen test shots of the weeds outside the back door are already enough to tell me that I have a lot to learn about macro work.

Obviously, the old 400mm = 1/400th of a second, 60mm = 1/60th rule doesn't apply on the macro scale. And equally, I need to be stopped down to f/8 or f/11 to get some depth of field for most shots. What is a good rule of thumb to apply for hand-held, available light macro work?

Thankyou all.
Old 21-12-05, 04:06

No rule of thumb. I try not to worry about shutter speeds with macro work.

Use a tripod and let the camera worry about how long to expose the scene. You need the DOF and you don't want to use ISO 800 so you just have to put up with longer exposures unless you are using a flash.

You cannot do true 1:1 macro work without a tripod. The depth of field is too shallow - the slightest movement of the camera will throw the subject out of focus - perhaps in full sun you can get the speed you need but who wants to take a photo in full sun!
Old 21-12-05, 07:55

Thanks Jim. Looks like that's another bit of gear I need to carry around then. I'm starting to feel like a pack-mule!
Old 21-12-05, 09:05
Super Moderator

I'd agree that a tripod will usually make macro work a lot easier - if you stop down the lens to get a deeper DOF then you'll end up with slow shutter speeds. That said I personally like the effect of a shallow DOF on many macro shots, it can give a good effect. Attached is a shot of some heather in my garden, taken with the coolpix 4500 on macro, I think the DOF has made what could have been a fairly dull shot much more interesting.

Another of my shots (in the gallery), shows the effect of using a shallow DOF in macro work. I guess it depends if you want an acurate, detailed shot, or something a bit more 'abstract'.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=53
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3294heather.jpg (32.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 21-12-05, 09:30

I like those shots, PCV. A little different. But I think of them sort of the way I used to think of my leg-spinner back when I used to play cricket: a good wicket-taking ball, but only if I just slipped one or at most two leggies into an over of my usual off-spin. It's the same with blurred movement in a bird picture: once in a while, a blurred head as (e.g.) a small bird shakes the water off after bathing can look great, but only in the context of a majority of conventional "clear and sharp" shots.

I've had a bit more of a play with the 60mm just now in the evening after work, and I'm starting to feel sorry that I didn't already order the flash unit. Fished an old spare tripod out of the junk room a little earlier (a small one, not to be compared to the big Manfrotto I use for digiscoping) and discovered that it has a weird clip-on mounting arrangement with no screw socket. Most likely a part is missing, in which case my chances of finding it in this madhouse are not good! I could just buy another tripod before Christmas, but I usually find that purchases made in a hurry from whatever limited selection happens to be in stock at the local shops on the day are soon regreted.

Well, this is Australia and it's December, so it shouldn't be too hard to find plenty of really bright light to work with until I get the flash and a tripod. Oh, and I guess I'll need a cable release.

Meanwhile, I'll treat the next few weeks as a chance to develop some skills with the equipment I have. Any other tips to getting good macro results hand-held with natural light?
Old 21-12-05, 10:17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin
I've had a bit more of a play with the 60mm just now in the evening after work, and I'm starting to feel sorry that I didn't already order the flash unit. Fished an old spare tripod out of the junk room a little earlier (a small one, not to be compared to the big Manfrotto I use for digiscoping) and discovered that it has a weird clip-on mounting arrangement with no screw socket. Most likely a part is missing, in which case my chances of finding it in this madhouse are not good! I could just buy another tripod before Christmas, but I usually find that purchases made in a hurry from whatever limited selection happens to be in stock at the local shops on the day are soon regreted.
Why not just buy a second quick release plate for your Manfrotto, the you can easily switch between the scope and the camera on the same tripod. I know what you mean about a flash for macro work, there is often not enough light. It's just a shame that dedicated macro flashes are so expensive...
Old 21-12-05, 10:52

Why not just buy a second quick release plate for your Manfrotto, then you can easily switch between the scope and the camera on the same tripod?

I intend to do this before too long, but for the other camera with the 100-400L. I hadn't thought of using the big tripod for macro work though. Probably not suitable: big and clumsy, Manfrotto 501 head is great for digiscoping,probably good for a 400mm lens, no fine for and aft adjustment for macros though. But seeing as I need to buy the second plate anyway, why not try it out? Good idea.

It's just a shame that dedicated macro flashes are so expensive...

Ha! I've stopped counting the cost. You remember that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail? The one where the knight has been slashed to ribbons, and had all his arms and legs cut off, and while his enemy rides off into the sunset he cries out:

"It's only a flesh wound, come back and fight you coward!"

Well, that's the way my credit card feels right now.
Old 21-12-05, 11:45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin
"It's only a flesh wound, come back and fight you coward!"

Well, that's the way my credit card feels right now.
Classic.

I've just been having a play with DOF on macro - test below is a composite of shots of the same CD cover taken at different apertures... thought it would show the effect of DOF quite well. From left to right it is f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f14 and f18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verucasalt.jpg (40.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 21-12-05, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
Classic.

I've just been having a play with DOF on macro - test below is a composite of shots of the same CD cover taken at different apertures... thought it would show the effect of DOF quite well. From left to right it is f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f14 and f18.
Errrmmm, there's only one attachment Pete. You'll have to split over 2 posts anyway (max. 5 attachments per post). I'm very interested to see the results.

Duncan.
Old 21-12-05, 13:19

Macro is a field of photography in its own right.
So I am posting a link to in my opinion the master, .......... or Google Heather Angel.

http://www.naturalvisions.co.uk/

For macro I use a benbo tripod a bit awkward to set up but a lot more versatile design than the standard 3 leg type.

Diffused flash helps with extra light when a tripod cannot be used.
Selecting an angle that will maximise the very shallow DOF.
Even a collapsible reflector - mini lastolite type can help add light.

I'll just let her images speak for themselves.

Enjoy

Don