WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Astrophotography

Old 22-05-07, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
Did that make sense ??
Certainly did Sir, and pleased to see you here. I tried Registax and that worked well, but my error was converting D2X RAW files to tiff. My pc nearly had a nervous breakdown sorting and stacking 36 70mb tiffs. Took ages.

I am still trying to work out wavelet sharpening as opposed to high pass for moon shots.

Don
Old 22-05-07, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
Most people on this forum will not have access to a driven mount but may still want to have a go at some astrophotography.
Those are very nice pictures.

I'm sure you know this, but I'll mention this for anyone here of a DIY pursuasion. (I know Don fits that category.) A cheap home made alternative to an expensive driven mounting is the Haig Mount, also known as the Barn Door Mount, or the Scotch Mount.

http://www.astronomyedinburgh.org/pu...otography.html

I remember the article appearing in Sky and Telescope about 30 years ago and I made one when I was (just) in my teens.

The link explains the principle, but it is no more than two squares of wood, joined by a hinge along one side, with a screw thread passing through one plank, and pushing against the other. The trick is to align the hinge with the Earth's axis, and then turn the screw thread once a minute, thus forcing one of the planks to rotate about the Earth's axis, countering the motion of the stars. The result is that a camera mounted on the moving plank will track the night sky. I think the inventor tried a 200mm lens but it really excelled with wide angles.

I have toyed with the idea of making another one, but the problem is the drive. Mine was digital (I used one finger to push a clothes peg attached to the drive rod). But ideally it should use a stepper motor with associated circuitry and a battery. If anyone knows a good source of the electronic items I would love to know.
Old 22-05-07, 20:50

And another link:

http://home.comcast.net/~dmiller5879..._animated.html

There are many developments which aim to reduce the tracking error which increases rapidly with time in the original version.
Old 22-05-07, 22:42

Saturn emerging from behind the moon this evening.

400mm lens and 2x and 1.4x converters.

I think I have beaten Dave to this.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn emerges.jpg (184.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 22-05-07, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Saturn emerging from behind the moon this evening.

400mm lens and 2x and 1.4x converters.

I think I have beaten Dave to this.

Don
Yes you have. I did watch it through my 12 inch (300mm) scope but made no attempt to photograph it. I just enjoyed the view together with a number of neighbours.

Excellent picture Don.

Dave
Old 23-05-07, 10:08

Default Star trails

Following on from my star trails post yesterday, last night was clear so I gave that program a go. The first picture is as it happened. The house is overexposed because my neighbour's security light came on for around two minutes so I ran the program again but missing out the four guilty frames.
Now , of course, there is a gap in the star trails but it illustrates what the possibilities are. There were 43 frames altogether each 30s long set on iso 800. It was so simple to do as I was able to leave the camera running and the use of the program is very straight forward. It gives the facility of taking dark frames which I did (i.e. 6 frames with the lens cap on).

One other nice feature in the progam is that it can make a video of the set of images which is quite fun.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Startrails1.jpg (69.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Startrails2.jpg (57.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Dave Smith; 23-05-07 at 10:25.
Old 23-05-07, 10:08

The view through a spotting scope was really impressive. Better than I have shown here. I kind of rushed the pic processing just to get it posted so I will revisit the origional later.

Don
Old 23-05-07, 22:53

I have now revisited the file from last night. Stretching the boundry a bit as this image is 1200 x 911. Probably my best challenge to Sassan yet as with the TC201 added image is way soft. Perhaps I need a 600 prime lens at the front end.

D2X, 400mm f5.6 IFED AIS lens, Kenko 2x + 1.4x converters. Exposure 1/15 sec wide open at 5.6 ISO 400.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moon & Saturn large.jpg (272.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 24-05-07, 10:03
Super Moderator

Thats amazing clarity Don with those stacked converters, a brilliant photo.
I missed out on getting saturn so close, well done on this one.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 24-05-07, 10:11

Yep, excellent going there, esp with it being untracked. I bet it took some skill to line that shot up

I built a barndoor mount 2 years ago, but I didn't work very well. Might have another go someday, it was easy enough and the maths is dead simple.