WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Tips needed for Wedding photo's

Old 29-03-06, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Don.

a very small room to seat about 40, not very bright.
Lenses I own a Canon 18-55
Flash built in flash, and a very cheap slave plus another slave http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...9&d=1135985441.

Christine
Emmmmmmmmm Kit lens !!!

To keep the noise down your need to shoot at ISO 100

I think your need to beg, steal, borrow or buy a 580EX to light that room.

Some attachment that will bounce the flash off a card. Ceiling maybe too high or wrong colour to bounce off.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 30-03-06 at 23:26.
Old 30-03-06, 16:37

As I have not done wedding or similar I am not able to contribute much.

I have done a web trawl and post a link to info on the Canon flash system so there is something for me to refer to. 3 pages long.http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index.html

Also a few tips for the amateur, 2 pages long http://www.all-things-photography.co...aphy-tips.html

Don
Old 30-03-06, 16:56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
As I have not done wedding or similar I am not able to contribute much.

I have done a web trawl and post a link to info on the Canon flash system so there is something for me to refer to. 3 pages long.http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index.html

Also a few tips for the amateur, 2 pages long http://www.all-things-photography.co...aphy-tips.html

Don
Thanks Don there is a lot of reading there but it looks very helfull Thank you.

Christine
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 30-03-06, 20:12

Christine,

Have you had a chance to try the RAW + JPEG Basic yet ?

Don
Old 30-03-06, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Don.
The flashgun is purely a slave gun I couldn't justify buying a TTL one for the odd occasions I would use it. I have made a cover to go over the built in flash for my macro shots. I will probably make one to go on the slave as well, (I am a cheapskate). I do have a grip bracket for the slave so it can be attached at the side of the camera.
Christine,

Relative power of the flash guns comes into play. As I mentioned, the pop up is low powered and if it is used to trigger the main one on the grip it will only have limited impact on the exposure. I am reminded that Metz used to do a big unit with a secondary flash tube. Worth a few test shots to confirm. Try these without a diffuser at several different distances from your subject.

Don
Old 30-03-06, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
....... so whether to use,P,auto,or portrait,and whether or not to use the 550 EX flash unit(I think that is the one) or the cameras own built in.Someone did suggest it may be better to have the unit pointing in the air,rather than bent over.
......Just wish I had someone to practise on,apart from the dog-who is black!!.
Hi Christine,

This gets tricky - 2 Christines here and on another thread 2 Stephens.

To try to answer your question on flash, it would have to be the 550 EX and not the built in.
Two reasons for that. The built in unit is of very low power, and because of its closeness to the lens axis ' red eye ' becomes a major problem.

I have been reading a bit on the link I posted re Canon flash, and that suggests that flash exposure is controlled by E-TTL II so you do not have to make fancy exposure calculations.

Even if you were to join in taking pictures rather than be the main photographer the best investment you coul make would be the Stofen I described in post 17. That attatched to your 550 EX will give far superior results in comparison to a compact.

My suggestion would be to get the Stofen and practice on ( hope I've got this right ) Barry at a distance and close up.

Which ever way you decide to go that practice will be invaluable.

If you are unsure of my advice you can prove it yourself.
1) Do a series of pics with the pop up.
2) Repeat with the 550 EX. Remember when you look at the shadows there will be softer shadows with the Stofen if you had one.

For these tests set the camera on Program. When you get the pics up on your computer the exif info will tell you what shutter speed and aperture the camera selected.

I will stop there before this becomes a book.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 30-03-06 at 22:38.
Old 30-03-06, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Lenses which could be used,Tamron 28-300,a very clear lens when used with a 300d,a 60mm Macro(not sure as to this one-I have been practising on the dog!!),and the 18-55 kit lens.The 20d has gone off to be cleaned,and the 350d will follow when the 20 returns
My main problem is judging the distance,being unable to crouch down to take shots of bridesmaids(I think the brides 2yr old daughter ,may be a bridesmaid.
Christine,

Two subjects here.

I am not familiar with these lenses but I notice both you and Christine (Saphire) have the 18-55. Ideally you do not want to be changing lenses so that would let out the 60mm Macro. How do these lenses stack up against each other. Distortion / closest focussing / speed.

As you have difficulty crouching down Christine, are you expected to be the only person taking the photographs. If so you really do need to discuss with the bride, her expectations, ie what pics would she like to see.

Touch tricky for me being a guy, ( men often described as being insensitive to these things ) but I would suggest you look at your own wedding pics and look at those that really touch your heart. They will give you as big a clue as any as to what you need to capture from that moment.

Don
Old 30-03-06, 22:12

Off topic but you can tell I've solved my wireless keyboard and mouse probs.

Don
Old 30-03-06, 22:39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Christine,

Have you had a chance to try the RAW + JPEG Basic yet ?

Don
Don. Yes I have had a go with Raw + Jpg it would save a lot of processing if the images don't need any added work except for sharpening the only thing I found the Jpg version was very soft.

The flashguns, I will have a go at various setting and f-stops with the 18-55 lens and keep notes then I can refer to them on the day if needed.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 30-03-06, 22:48

Don and Adey,thanks for your helpful comments.I,ve been reading the links you mentioned.I have not used the 18-55 kit lens,but will give it a go.I can take 2 cameras with a lens on each.
I guess some practise is needed,using different progs,and different lenses.But I will definetly not be climbing a ladder as mentioned in one of the links!!!

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356