WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Manfrotto Neotec 048B

Old 17-11-09, 19:16

By Don - "I think the key thing to look for is a tripod at least as stable as the Manfrotto 055 you mention, and it should have a centre column that can be set to the horizontal position. Current workshop project is to do this for my version of the 055 that does not feature this."

Don - my 055 MF 4 Mag fiber does have the ability to use its centre column horizontally.

All my supports, 3 Manfrotto tripods - 055V; 055MF4; 058; and a Manfrotto Monopod - 679; have had their heads replaced with Arca Swiss Heads- one Acratech, one Arca Swiss B1, two Markins. And all lenses that require support have Arca Swiss plates on, I also use Kirk L Brackets on each camera body.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 17-11-09 at 19:25.
Old 17-11-09, 19:33

Andy,
I realise your 055 MF4 does.

My project relates to my 055MF3 View which does not. Column just operates in the vertical. This was bought for a spotting scope a few years ago before WPF got me back into photography mode, or I would have bought something like the 055xpro as a lighter companion to my big Slik Professional or the Benbo.

Don
Old 17-11-09, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
All my supports, 3 Manfrotto tripods - 055V; 055MF4; 058; and a Manfrotto Monopod - 679; have had their heads replaced with Arca Swiss Heads- one Acratech, one Arca Swiss B1, two Markins. And all lenses that require support have Arca Swiss plates on, I also use Kirk L Brackets on each camera body.
Andy,

Maybe not for you, but from my perpective that collection of ballheads is pretty exotic. Good grief which one of the above list do you have on your monopod??

Don
Old 18-11-09, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
I don't quite get the comparison, the Gitzo I own is in a different league to the Manfrottos and in my experience the Giottos are not quite as good as the Manfrottos. I wonder what level the Benros are at, I have heard a lot about them (good and bad) but have not tried one myself.
Benro was actually contracted to Gitzo up to about 2 years ago to manufacture their carbon fibre tripods and others. Benro pulled out of the deal and started to make it's own range of very similar tripods and actually improved on the design, the carbon fibre and the leg lock fittings. Initially the quality control wasn't as tight as Gitzo's, but now the latest models are up there with the top and easily match the Gitzo carbon range for quality and inovation. A lot of the bad reports that were going the rounds a couple of years ago were mainly sour grapes from people who were uptight about what they saw as Gitzo plagarism, the way I see it it can hardly be plagarism when Benro are selling a different but quality product at a third of the price of rip off Gitzo. Incidentally, Gitzo are now owned by Manfrotto and are manufactured in Italy.

As I said, I have been using a Benro C-298M8 regularly in all sorts of conditions for over a year now, I have had absolutely no problems with it. It's a very versatile tripod with a centre column that can be adjusted to any angle making it perfect for macro work, it locks up solid and is very rigid even at full height, (great for landscape work). I've become so used to carrying it with me that I've hardly used my Uniloc 1600 Major since I bought it.

nirofo.
Old 18-11-09, 09:54

I guess I was fortunate not to have got the 055 if you cant angle the vertical column? I never mentioned, but was shown loads of heads also, after using my £30 jessops I guess anything would be a rolls royce! but was impessed by the manfrotto junior geared head, not cheap, but it would stop all the issues I had with my jessops! as soon as it was set and tightened, then it would drop 5mm. Ok..so I need a tripod that is as sturdy as the 055pro, but with horizontal adjustment for macro work...more swotting up lol..price, and I guess weight is not an issue, after a long walk I may say different? I mean a good investment now will possibly be the only one I need to make regarding a tripod yes! This could open up another can of worms? along with my quest for a suitable tripod and visiting jessop/camera shops in the area, an assistant mentioned have you thought about a focussing rail? OMG!..sounds very useful, but when will it end lol, not a necessity I guess, but poss a luxury no?
Thankyou all for your links and information and mostly your time! I think i've got another w/end listening to "your not on that computer again looking at cameras are you" doh!
ATB
Old 18-11-09, 10:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Benro was actually contracted to Gitzo up to about 2 years ago to manufacture their carbon fibre tripods and others. Benro pulled out of the deal and started to make it's own range of very similar tripods and actually improved on the design, the carbon fibre and the leg lock fittings. Initially the quality control wasn't as tight as Gitzo's, but now the latest models are up there with the top and easily match the Gitzo carbon range for quality and inovation. A lot of the bad reports that were going the rounds a couple of years ago were mainly sour grapes from people who were uptight about what they saw as Gitzo plagarism, the way I see it it can hardly be plagarism when Benro are selling a different but quality product at a third of the price of rip off Gitzo. Incidentally, Gitzo are now owned by Manfrotto and are manufactured in Italy.
Depends where you hear the story as to quite what happened with the Benro/Gitzo deal... I have heard that rather than Benro pulling out of the deal, they were dropped by Gitzo as the CF legs they made were not up to the standard that Gitzo wanted. If the new Benro's really are as good as the Gitzos I'd like to try one, it woudl certainly save me a lot of money when buying my next tripod. It's a shame that there is nowhere local to me that stocks them or I'd take a look.
Old 18-11-09, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.b View Post
I guess I was fortunate not to have got the 055 if you cant angle the vertical column? I never mentioned, but was shown loads of heads also, after using my £30 jessops I guess anything would be a rolls royce! but was impessed by the manfrotto junior geared head, not cheap, but it would stop all the issues I had with my jessops! ..........................an assistant mentioned have you thought about a focussing rail? OMG!..sounds very useful, but when will it end lol, not a necessity I guess, but poss a luxury no?
Thankyou all for your links and information and mostly your time! I think i've got another w/end listening to "your not on that computer again looking at cameras are you" doh!
ATB
Simon,

Check the Warehouse Express link as that shows that the centre column of the 055XPro can be set to horizontal.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...ripod/p1019760

Geared head is very nice for precision work but not absolutely necessary as some of the other pan heads like the 804RC2 will be a major step up from your old one.
Link to WHE page on the 804RC2 so you can have a look
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...-head/p1012868

Focusing rail ........ This is not necessary until you get into really high magnifications, so I would not worry about that at this stage.

Don
Old 18-11-09, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Depends where you hear the story as to quite what happened with the Benro/Gitzo deal... I have heard that rather than Benro pulling out of the deal, they were dropped by Gitzo as the CF legs they made were not up to the standard that Gitzo wanted. If the new Benro's really are as good as the Gitzos I'd like to try one, it woudl certainly save me a lot of money when buying my next tripod. It's a shame that there is nowhere local to me that stocks them or I'd take a look.

There were loads of stories going around a couple of years ago, mostly sour grapes, but I can only go on my own experience with Benro which I have to say has been very good. The tripod is well built, well designed and easily useable and it comes complete with an accessory kit and a tripod bag. I have used it with several different heads from a Benro ball and socket to a beautifully made Linhof 3D Head, it works well with them all. I usually have it paired with a Benro B-3 Ball Head, this has great adjustment, locks up solid and costs less than a third of Arca heads. Like I said, IT'LL DO FOR ME !!!

I don't know how local this is to you, but it is UK based, check out this web address. http://www.photopal.co.uk/

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 18-11-09 at 14:03.