WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Adobe Photoshop CS RAW Upgrades

Old 10-03-07, 10:44

Default Adobe Photoshop CS RAW Upgrades

Having recently bought an EOS 1D MkIIN, I allready have the non N version, I was disgusted to find that I cannot open the raw files in Photoshop CS. The only support for these files is available only to those who have CS2, and an upgrade costs Sterling140.
Why should I have to constantly pay Adobe for "additional" features I do not want just so I can open files from my two cameras in one place?
Has anybody got any suggestions, is there a plug-in for Photoshop which would allow me to open the MKIn RAW files?
Old 11-03-07, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken watkins View Post
Having recently bought an EOS 1D MkIIN, I allready have the non N version, I was disgusted to find that I cannot open the raw files in Photoshop CS. The only support for these files is available only to those who have CS2, and an upgrade costs Sterling140.
Why should I have to constantly pay Adobe for "additional" features I do not want just so I can open files from my two cameras in one place?
Has anybody got any suggestions, is there a plug-in for Photoshop which would allow me to open the MKIn RAW files?
In the short term, you presumably have the Canon software DPP that will allow you to convert your Raw files. However its not my favourite either.

Personally I would feel inclined to stick with CS and purchase Lightroom. It is a far better package and offers much more in terms of value for money than a CS2 upgrade IMHO
Old 11-03-07, 16:25

And thet wonder why piracy was rife £140 to upgrade photoshop, don't they think they make enough out of it?

Alan
Old 12-03-07, 08:15

I agree entirely with the last comment, Adobe do not look after their customers at all! Having originally paid in the region of Sterling 500 I do not expect to have to expend these ludicrous amounts of money to upgrade, it is of course even worse if you only have Photoshop 7.
Lightroom is currently on "special offer" around $199!!, hardly a cheap alternative, especially as it is based on the old Rawshooter which was almost free!!
But I have found out that if you download ACR 3.6 you also get a programme called DNG convertor. This allows you to convert your RAW to DNG and retain the RAW format. You can then open in CS1, provided you have the RAW extension from the last CS upgrade which I believe is 2.4.
Old 12-03-07, 10:45

You are correct about DNG Ken and although I have CS2 is the reason I use the dng format as I will not be upgrading it anymore.

As to lightroom you will have the same problems as CS in the future, you do not really think Adobe is going to keep supporting new cameras for it for free do you? No there will be upgrade prices or even more possible none and having to pay the full price for the latest version!

While with Light Room it is handy and space saving it is the ultimate proprietary software, and that’s the problem since once you start using it you MUST keep using it forever or go through a pain of going back to re-exporting all your work, and you can only use LR to do this. Adobe really are onto something here virtually tying you to their application.

I also like to have as few apps as possible BUT prefere to keep the freedom of using the tool I find best be it organising, editing or raw conversion.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography